Running config without 7i92

More
07 Oct 2022 12:23 #253681 by Todd Zuercher
PS, But that doesn't necessarily help with developing software for the original machine config because differences between the simulation and and machine config files will be significant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2022 13:21 #253690 by tommylight
To simplify things, you need a simulation for your 7i92 with your config of stepgens, encoders, pwm's, etc.
So for now there is no need to simulate everything Mesa 7i92 can do as that would imply having all the posible combinations from all the existing firmwares.
As a start, emulating stepgens is should do, if there are mo other stuff in use, of course and I/O.
Diverting a bit, LinuxCNC is very flexible, so make another hal file with the pins you want to experiment with, save it in the same folder, add an entry in the ini file pointing to it, make sure it runs.
Now you have everything needed in that file so updates will not change it, and you can just copy that file together with the VCP hal and xml to the other machine.
Still, not sure how hard it is to simulate a Mesa stepgen in hal or component, but simulating the ethernet link might be much harder...
Is there any way of loading the Mesa firmware on PC, something like mounting an ISO ???

More
07 Oct 2022 13:25 #253693 by tommylight
Thinking of it, maybe the best way to go around this is simulating the hardware so loading any firmware would technicaly work.
Any Spartan 6 emulators out there?
:)
Or any game running on Spartan 6 as that would for sure mean someone somewhere did an emulator? No?
Oh well, lack of sleep is getting to me...

More
07 Oct 2022 14:15 #253699 by daiman444
I tried to portray a dummy with a hostmot substitution, but I'm not a developer and it's extremely difficult and incomprehensible for me. perhaps it would be a great thing if in ini or hal there would be something like: mode = simulation / work with the board. and if there is a simulation, then the config was launched with any board. at the level of setting up a config or editing it remotely, this would be effective for debugging or developing a configuration. do you know about john the time killer serial programmer?

More
08 Oct 2022 11:36 - 08 Oct 2022 11:38 #253744 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Running config without 7i92

I tried to portray a dummy with a hostmot substitution, but I'm not a developer and it's extremely difficult and incomprehensible for me. perhaps it would be a great thing if in ini or hal there would be something like: mode = simulation / work with the board. and if there is a simulation, then the config was launched with any board. at the level of setting up a config or editing it remotely, this would be effective for debugging or developing a configuration. do you know about john the time killer serial programmer?

I just thinking in similar approach.
in ini/hal files there are markers (comments) like:

;WORK
#net x-pos-fb               <=  hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.position
#net x-vel-fb               <=  hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.velocity
;

END of WORK
;SIM
net x-pos-fb               <=  mySimComponent.position
net x-vel-fb               <=  mySimComponent.velocity
;
END of SIM

Before linuxcnc is started the simple script is started which make comments in apropriate blocks. Maybe checking hostname to know if it's in real machine and set comments to ;SIM block or if hostname is not machine name then make comments to ;WORK block. 

And of course to make component in hal or userspace to simulate the machine itself (up to degree wanted)

Last edit: 08 Oct 2022 11:38 by eslavko. Reason: Lost formatting

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds