? - Machine Power Disengages Automatically

More
14 Oct 2010 02:59 #4669 by Paul
Hello,

I am just getting started with EMC2.4/Ubuntu 10.4. Fresh install from downloaded .iso on a five year old ASUS motherboard, AGP video card. When I first got the stepper motors wired/adjusted, I ran a few smaller jobs to see if the whole thing was working and all seemed well. Now, the machine power <F2> goes off on it's own. Seemingly randomly. The power can go off after only a few seconds or after a minute or two. I don't have to be running anything, axis can be homed, not homed, keyboard/mouse unplugged (after pressing <F2>). So far nothing seems to help. I have no other programs running. I can press <F2> again, but it isn't long and the power gets turned off. The E-stop switch does not trip on it's own at anytime unless I press the actual switch. I have started EMC from a terminal window wondering if I could get any error messages, but nothing prints to the terminal.

Is there any condition which would shut the machine power down by design? Maybe for safety? Or is pressing the F2 key supposed to be the only way to power down the machine?

Thanks in advance for any insight or direction.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2010 10:19 #4673 by Rick G
Hello Paul,

You can activate machine power F2 with Hal from different devices. What configuration are you using, what break out board?
You can look at show machine to tell if the signal has been connected to a device. Go to Machine / Show Hal Configuration.
If it is connected to a device that you do not want to use you need to edit the file.

Rick G

More
14 Oct 2010 20:14 #4683 by Paul
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I looked through the Hal configuration, but did not see anything pointing to Machine power. I believe I have the C10 - Bidirectional Breakout Board that I got from Keling. I did notice that when I activate the E-Stop switch, the computer monitor shows the icons for the E-Stop and Machine power alternately flickering until I deactivate the E-Stop switch. Also, the status bar at the bottom left of the screen will show E-Stop and then "OFF", back and forth, after I press the E-Stop switch. I didn't know if that was normal.

I may try temporarily removing E-Stop from the configuration in case it is being read as open briefly for some reason which triggers the Machine power.

Thanks again.

Paul

More
15 Oct 2010 08:44 #4693 by andypugh
Paul wrote:

I did notice that when I activate the E-Stop switch, the computer monitor shows the icons for the E-Stop and Machine power alternately flickering until I deactivate the E-Stop switch

That is absolutely not normal...

Check your HAL config to see what is wired to iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

More
15 Oct 2010 11:51 #4698 by Paul
Here are all the lines in my Hal file that contain estop:

net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in
net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

Should I have an estop-out pin assignment?

Thanks again for your time, Rick

Paul

More
15 Oct 2010 12:02 #4699 by andypugh
Paul wrote:

Here are all the lines in my Hal file that contain estop:
net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in
net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

That means that pin 10 of you parallel port will stop the machine. Is anything wired to pin 10?
iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in is driven low to stop EMC2. An unconnected p=port pin will float high, and so the machine will work as long as nothing pulls that pin down. Perhaps a stronger pull-up is needed? (1k ohm to the +5 should do it)

Note that that section of HAL could be written a little more tersely, and clearly as:
net estop-ext parport.0.pin-10-in => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

Should I have an estop-out pin assignment?

Possibly, it depends if you want to do anything with that signal. (like drop the main relay when F1 is pressed, for example)

More
15 Oct 2010 22:13 #4707 by Rick G
Paul,

You can watch the iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in pin in hal / machine / watch to confirm that is the problem.

You can also comment out the line that connects the signal in your hal file to the parallel port pin 10 to see if it fixes the problem.

Later if you find you need it or there is a reason for it you can un comment it.

Rick G

More
17 Oct 2010 01:11 #4717 by Paul
Thanks for your help, Rick.

Although the wire connecting the e-stop switch checked ok, I replaced it with a direct run (I had a junction with the first set which also ran along four wires for the X axis motor). Now all is well.

Thanks!

Paul

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds