Drop in replacement for steppers

More
26 Sep 2022 22:36 #252809 by An
Hi linuxcnc,

I would like to improve the resolution on an axis and I have no space left for gear box’s etc. Currently a nema 23 stepper is installed with 1.8 degree per step and gecko drive (10 microstep etc). Unfortunately a 0.9 degree stepper is not going to do it either. I’m wondering if I can simply drop in a clearpath and use as a stepper with no other mods? (I expect to mod cabling and software step output resolution but nothing major!) If it is just a simple swap my other concern is the torque of these motors at low speed…
Thoughts appreciated!
cheers
ant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2022 12:11 #252851 by tommylight
Not sure what exactly this is about, some pictures might help, but, there are Nema 23 and Nema 24 stepper motors that are very long and can do up to 3N/M, so that might be enough without much hassle.
As for clearpath, i never used them as at one point in time they were selling closed loop steppers as servo and naming them servo systems, so i never bothered with them.
Lately though it seems they do use servos as i have seen plenty of satisfied users.
Be aware that Nema23 and 24 do not have the same mounting hole spacing so not exactly a drop in replacement, with a bit of dremeling that can be aranged.

More
27 Sep 2022 23:19 #252900 by An
Replied by An on topic Drop in replacement for steppers
Thanks Tommy, I just want to increase the resolution of one axis on a custom machine. There is no room to put a gearbox or bigger ratio of pulleys etc and going to a 0.9 degree stepper won’t increase it enough either. My thought was to go to the Clearpath servo as it says you can control with step/dir and they appear to go as high as 6400 steps per rev which is more than 3 times what I currently have. What I would like to know is can I simply replace my current stepper with this motor update the obvious and solve my resolution problem - hoping to hear if someone has done this (essentially used a servo as an expensive stepper)… I’m not trying to close the loop or anything.
Thanks
Ant

More
27 Sep 2022 23:44 #252901 by tommylight
Those closed loop steppers from China can do much more resolution than 6400.
Even some normal stepper drives of higher quality can do much more, pretty sure some i have do 256000 or more.
But, microstepping is not resolution for anything that uses more torque, it works quite ok for 3D printers due to lite weight, but under load do not expect much of it.
What about those china servo motors with the drive attached? they are pretty good as far as i can read, those JDM or JMD or something similar...

More
28 Sep 2022 13:52 #252937 by Todd Zuercher
How much space do you have? A small planetary gear box doesn't require a lot of space, and is similar to installing a longer more powerful motor.
Here's one example.
www.ebay.com/itm/334249227147

More
29 Sep 2022 20:00 #253046 by elf
You'll also need to add a 75V power supply. The Teknic website shows the torque/speed curves. I used them on my mill and are happy with them.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds