Roland MDX540 rebuild

More
02 Oct 2022 16:47 #253265 by ResidentMadScientist
Hello!,

I've finally decided to throw my money at this project that I've let sit around for about a year! I've been doing a lot of reading and have a few general questions to make sure I'm approaching this appropriately. The machine in question was severely water damaged and none of the electronics work, but the motors and encoders do!

Okay so long term I want 4-axis capability and the Roland has a 4th axis attachment (though I'm not sure of the motor type just yet). The XYZ axes are BLDC motors with encoders (no hall effect sensors) and I was able to move them with an ODrive (an open source BLDC FOC motor controller). The spindle is also a BLDC with 3 hall effect sensors. My hope is to get all the electronics from mesa (I'm thinking 7i39 for the BLDCs, and possibly the spindle, crossing my fingers) and maybe the 5i25 FPGA for real time motion control. Also I'm planning on getting a pendant and plan to use the 7i73 for a pendant attachment. 

So I guess my questions are:
1. Which pendant (I want wired) is recommended? I definitely would like a display on the pendant.
2. Will the 7i39s work with any pole pair configuration? I remember the pole pair config being "non-standard" on the roland bldcs. Something like 7 or 11 pole pairs (I can dig into my linux partition to get the config files I used while testing and get coil resistances as well).
3. Which CAM software do you all recommend. I typically use Fusion360 on an education license since I'm an educator, but I'd like to get a license for something that isn't connected to my education email. Keeping in mind I'd like 4th axis capability in the future but I'm also not ready to throw like 1k at this software just yet. Maybe I should just stick with fusion360 education for now?
4. Post processors for MESA boards exist for any CAM programs?
5. What other daughter boards will I need to complete the build? 
6. What power supply should I purchase? (Something like a Meanwell?)
7. Will an NVidia GPU make my life a living hell? The reason I ask is I'm probably going to purchase an old crypto mining machine from a friend to be my host computer and I think he used Nvidia GPUs, though hopefully they're amd!

Alright I'm sure I'll have more questions once the discussion gets started! Also any builds you recommend I look through I'll gladly take a look.

Thank You!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2022 01:04 #253399 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Roland MDX540 rebuild
If you have ODrives why not use them?
What are the voltage and current requirments of your motors? The 7i39 is not the most powerful of drivers (and relies on software commutation). It works fine, I have some, but there may be other options that suit the motors better.

The number of pole pairs does not matter, as long as you set up the commutation to suit.

I would stick with Fusion for the moment, and use their LinuxCNC postprocessor.

Other questions, I either lack data, or lack opinions.

More
04 Oct 2022 02:56 #253410 by ResidentMadScientist
Thank you for your input!

The only reason I'm not sure about using the ODrives is because I'm not sure the ODrive will be able to flip an output pin when it goes into an error state. This way if the ODrive goes into an error state (and ignores motion commands) the entire machine can go into an error state and E-stop so after a crash it's not continuing moving. I'm going to read more into this, I may have to edit the firmware. On top of this feedback control tuning would happen in a separate program, probably something I'd have to write myself in python (also not totally against this). But I'd prefer to get something tried and true and then I can mess around with DIY motor control stuff later.

I imagine the 7i39 has this error capability in it (Is this not the case?).
The software commutation happens on the host computer cpu or on the 5i25 FPGA?

Also my axes motors are only 60-80W, it's not the most powerful machine (the phase resistance of the axis motors is ~0.5Ohms, I'm not sure of the supply voltage as the main electronics are destroyed on the machine. I'll poke around tomorrow see if there's any text on the pcbs leading to decipher an output voltage from mains).

I'm curious what other options for BLDC exist out there. Essentially, I want to make sure the machine is completely safe to use and ideally stop on a crash.

More
04 Oct 2022 20:39 #253468 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Roland MDX540 rebuild

I imagine the 7i39 has this error capability in it (Is this not the case?).

I don't think that it does, it is a very dumb drive (deliberately so).
But with feedback to LinuxCNC any drive that faults will cause an immediate following error and trip out LinuxCNC anyway.

The software commutation happens on the host computer cpu or on the 5i25 FPGA?

In the host computer. The FPGA converts the calculated phase angle from the HAL layer into three-phase PWM.
This works fine, all my CNC machines run this way, using the 8i20.

I'm curious what other options for BLDC exist out there. Essentially, I want to make sure the machine is completely safe to use and ideally stop on a crash.

There is STMBL but those are designed for much higher power and voltage than you seem to be working with, and are pretty much impossible to build because of chip shortages.

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/bldc.9.html

Is the software commutation component (written specifically for the 7i39 and 8i20).

More
02 May 2023 09:29 #270464 by Alex17001
Replied by Alex17001 on topic Roland MDX540 rebuild
Hi
I do not recommend using servo roland in the rebuild,
Servomotor LA052-080E7N01 has only 400ppr encoder. And ballscrew 1404. Result - maximum resolution 0.01mm. It is very small!
I made a rebuild roland mdx650 with motors Delta 200W. It is necessary to make only an adapter for motors.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds