Does anyone have a VistaCNC hal file they'd be willing to share?

More
06 Jan 2023 16:37 #261098 by spumco

so is there any real good reason to have the hal lines all combined like in the original file?

because while it's more verbose to separate the line out into 3 or 4 different lines, it's certainly much more understandable to someone like myself getting started in the HAL.

It's entirely personal preference.

If you separate everything in to multiple lines it may be easier to read and follow the logic.
However, once you have a complicated HAL file (or multiple files) the additional lines make the HAL file extremely long.

Personally, I simply cannot follow the traditional layout of having all pins in a single net line and have broken everything out to multi-line format.  But I know that other LCNC users - usually more experienced - are driven nuts having to scroll through a seriously long HAL file.

The one thing I'd suggest is commenting the crap out of the file if the connected pins are on different lines - especially if they're separated within the file.  Makes searching for all the bit & pieces of a component logic chain easier.

net signal0 <= some.pin.input0  #VISTA MPG
net signal1 <= some.pin.input1
net signal0 => some.pin.output0 #VISTA MPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: jvanick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2023 15:51 - 10 Jan 2023 15:53 #261457 by Todd Zuercher
I often use a mixture of long single line or multiple short lines. It depends on whats going on and the mood I was in when I wrote the hal file. That said I rarely snoop hal logic directly in the actual file. There is too much chance that you can miss something that is in another place or file. It is much easier to use a tool like Showhal to look at the hal connections in a running system. Then you can look up a signal name and instantly see every connection to it regardless of where or what file line it is saved in. Then once you know what you're looking for it is a simple matter to search for it in the real hal file(s) with a text editor.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2023 15:53 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds