How does LinuxCNC find the Python interpreter?

More
30 Jan 2023 01:07 #263200 by JetForMe
Try as I might, I can't get my RIP build of LinuxCNC to use the alternative Python interpreter I've installed. My Debian 11 came with Python 3.9, but I need some stuff in Python 3.10, so I installed the latest Python, and used `update-alternatives` to set the new python as the preferred Python.

But despite my PATH ensuring that the latest python3 is run, LinuxCNC and GladeVCP both launch the older Python. Are they hard-coded into the build after the configuration step? Would it be enough to re-run configure and re-make? I don't see an option for specifying which python to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2023 02:26 #263204 by rodw
easiest way would be to install debian 12 which has Python 3.11
Doing a dist-upgrade full may leave you in the same spot as you are now so I would reinstall.

Its this python version stuff that caused me to leave buster a year ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetForMe

More
30 Jan 2023 03:24 #263205 by JetForMe
Ah, figured it out for gladevcp, at least: it's hard-coded into the #! line.

I'll consider creating a new VM for Debian 12. I didn't even know that was an option. Is it stable enough to use? I have other needs preventing me from solving all my problems with Debian 12, which I'll outline in a new post.

More
30 Jan 2023 07:04 #263215 by rodw

Ah, figured it out for gladevcp, at least: it's hard-coded into the #! line.

I'll consider creating a new VM for Debian 12. I didn't even know that was an option. Is it stable enough to use? I have other needs preventing me from solving all my problems with Debian 12, which I'll outline in a new post.

if you use bookworm you can install linuxcnc from the Debian repos, but it won't be 100% up to date. It also installs PREEMPT_RT as a dependency
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace linuxcnc-uspace-dev
I have never had any issues with stability and its good enough for google.....

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds