calling subroutines

More
14 Mar 2023 19:59 #266692 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic calling subroutines

so I entered FOAM=1 next to display, and next to coordinates I entered XYUV, but Foamcutter now does not open. It just has a long list of errors

So what other steps do I have to do to change it over.

More importantly, I don;t understand what will change, as in, what will get better or worse.

Mainly, XY UV makes far more sense for a 4-axis foam cutter than XYZA does, as A is generally a rotary axis. 

But, in the (old) version of LinuxCNC that you are using you would need to have [TRAJ]AXES set to 8, COORDINATES = XYUV and have dummy entries for [AXIS_2] through to [AXIS_5] and move your current Z and A to [AXIS_6] and [AXIS_7]

Then you would also need to make some HAL changes, swapping axis.2.motor-pos-cmd to axis.6.motor-pos-cmd and so on. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2023 20:26 #266698 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic calling subroutines

But, in the (old) version of LinuxCNC that you are using you would need to have [TRAJ]AXES set to 8, COORDINATES = XYUV and have dummy entries for [AXIS_2] through to [AXIS_5] and move your current Z and A to [AXIS_6] and [AXIS_7]

Then you would also need to make some HAL changes, swapping axis.2.motor-pos-cmd to axis.6.motor-pos-cmd and so on. 

I have eaxctly this on a 2x1x1 meter foam cutter i built ages ago, it is still on Ubuntu 10.04.1, and also have another config with only X and Y, where the other two axis are mirrored for when the parts have the same size on both sides.
Also has a removable rotating table set as B.

More
15 Mar 2023 16:30 #266760 by foam man
Replied by foam man on topic calling subroutines
when you say rotary axis, does that mean you can cut a 3d shape
is there a post set up to process a 3d drawing

More
15 Mar 2023 18:02 #266773 by tommylight
Yes it does cut 3d shapes, and i have no idea what the owner uses for CAM, been quite some time since i spoke or had coffee with him as he has type 2 diabetis and lately has health problems.
I can ask if i do get in contact with him.

More
15 Mar 2023 19:54 #266780 by foam man
question, when spumco said in an earlier post about waiting for someone to chime in with foam cutter experience, who, for instance wrote the section on setting up the hot wire in a xyuv way? Is there a Linux team? Or is more, user helping user. In which case, who publishes the how to sections?

More
16 Mar 2023 04:14 #266802 by foam man

File Attachment:

File Name: foam_cutte...3-16.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: foam_cutte...3-16.txt
File Size:4 KB

If I run the above files linux opens up and all the axes are movable with the same 8 keyboard buttons that have been working up till now.
If I add any more axis in the hal file, I get an error saying it can't find that file
the one difference is the U V axis numbers don't move, even though the motors actually do. Is there a place to change that.

Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2023 02:42 #266878 by foam man
Hey guys
Did I say something wrong or offend anybody that I'm unaware of.
If I did please let me know.
Thanks

More
17 Mar 2023 11:17 #266901 by tommylight
I can not see anything offending to anyone.
As for Linux team, most Linux distros have teams, some have a single person trying to do everything, but usually those are just repackaged versions of bigger distros.
LinuxCNC has users that help, few developers that do a lot of work in the background and some that are also active here, it also has an IRC chanel with plenty of active users, so you might get faster replies there granted you bump into someone with experience in your field.
We definitely need more help with everything, most of us here are busy all the time, still we try to use every free time to help others here.
The how to section or documentation?
Github is one way of contributing, or if you are willing to help, one of the admins can also help with publishing.
Need coffee, badly, still groggy... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: foam man

More
17 Mar 2023 19:01 #266933 by foam man
whats an IRC channel

More
17 Mar 2023 19:04 #266934 by foam man
hi tommylight
never mind the question. I googled it. what is this channel called

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds