Can linuxCNC be (easily) made to send commands over ethernet to my CNC machine?

More
22 Jun 2023 18:08 - 22 Jun 2023 18:10 #274070 by mlw19mlw91

Aciera post=274067 userid=25994
Where did you get this from? Is this the result of some Chat GPT query?
I've never heard of such a 'Remote Machine Interface' feature. 

^ correct lol. If that's the case it's not the best "search engine".  I mean it basically just scours the internet and pieces together what it finds in a coherent way.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2023 18:10 by mlw19mlw91.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2023 18:35 #274077 by Aciera

I mean it basically just scours the internet and pieces together what it finds in a coherent way.

You got that right.

More
22 Jun 2023 18:56 #274079 by tommylight
From the link above:
These methods are all fairly manual, but there’s a more automated way to transfer g-code to your CNC machines that is called “DNC,” which stands for “Distributed Numerical Control.”

The idea is to control what g-code winds up on a group of CNC machines from a central server.  A menu can be called up on the DNC software on that machine that causes a particular part program to be sent to a particular machine.

DNC requires connecting every machine back to the DNC Server that’s going to manage that machine.  This is traditionally done using RS-232 serial connections, like the cable on the right.
Does this make it "remote machine interface"?
-
And yes, internet has become a minefield of bad information, so filtering what is good info is becoming damn near impossible. As an exercise, search for "types of pilot arc for plasma cutting machines" it returns over 28000 wrong answers mostly copy/pasted from the same bad source with different wording, only 2 correct answers for over 10 pages of results, one from Hypertherm and the other from Jim Colt on a forum, Jim worked for Hypertherm.

More
23 Jun 2023 02:53 #274110 by Reinhard
I worked out an Ethernet-Gateway for linuxcnc, which already passed first tests.
Status-Updates are broadcasted to a Multicast-Group, which means, that you could have multiple clients synchronized to linuxcnc backend (no matter whether the clients are on the same machine or not). Tests showed, that there's no timing problem compared to clients that are connected by shared memory.

For the Command-Channel I implemented a REST interface, which is secured by Http-Digest Authentification. Command-Interface is in concurrency tests - basic commanding works, but some commands don't work yet.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds