Beginner question- spindle will sometimes move straight through stock material

More
30 Jul 2023 20:48 #276580 by Sverabak41
Hi all, we’ve been having a problem where the spindle will sometimes move straight through stock material instead of retracting above it when moving to another part of the stock. This causes the spindle to freeze, and the machine stops responding to any XYZ moves unless Linux is turned off and on again. A tech is going to come and look at this with me, but if anyone has experienced this issue and can point to where to look for the problem, that would be helpful. If you have questions let me know. Thank you

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2023 20:56 #276581 by pippin88
You need to post the gcode files (to make sure it's not in the gcode)

Could be Z axis stalling - stepper stalling, or coupler slipping.

More
30 Jul 2023 22:00 #276585 by tommylight
Also, more info
PC?
Controller?
Parallel port?
BOB?
Drives?
Motors?
LinuxCNC version?
hal and ini preferably attached here.
In the meantime, lover the "max velocity" slider to just above the feed rate you have set in gcode and test again.

More
31 Jul 2023 01:35 #276590 by Sverabak41
Sorry I'm away from the studio and not sure what version of LinuxCNC we use. We use a PC. I'm not sure how what hal or ini files are- I use Fusion360, will uploading the .ngc be helpful? I'm just a woodworker so I have no clue about these things but I'm trying to gather some helpful feedback for the tech when he comes to look.

Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2023 01:36 #276591 by Sverabak41
Is an .ngc file "gcode"? I've attached here- thank you

Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2023 01:41 #276592 by Sverabak41
Also, last time this happened I ran the same file again and it didn't happen the second time.

More
31 Jul 2023 03:01 #276594 by PCW
I would second the "Z axis stalling" guess especially since it fails on an upward move.
You might try reducing the Z axis acceleration by 1/2 and seeing if you still get the error.

More
31 Jul 2023 04:38 #276604 by rodw

Could be Z axis stalling - stepper stalling, or coupler slipping.

Either your velocities and acceleration are too high and it misses steps when retracting against gravity or the Z axis coupler is slipping.
Either way your z axis is not fully retracting  due to lost steps or mechanical slippage.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds