Sanity Check Beginner

More
18 Nov 2023 02:45 #285793 by SyntheticApertureRadar
Howdy,

I'm new to CNC but familiar with Linux/Servers.

I'm have an old Australian made drill press I'm in the process of restoring. I have to replace the motor.

As a beginning project I'd like to control a 3 phase 2hp induction motor with a vfd through linuxcnc. It's an induction motor so I'm really just after controlling the speed with the vfd through linuxcnc. I've got an old homelab server I'm using. I'm intending to buy a 7i96s (Was going to be a 7i76e but no one seems to have any in stock) to connect via ethernet to the pc and control the speed of the motor.

As far as I'm aware, I believe this will work, however before I buy the board, can someone with a bit more confidence and experience in linuxcnc confirm that it will work? (I'm intending to use the 7i96s to initially get this project running, then will eventually take it out and replace it with something cheaper to fulfill the drill press needs permanently. While keeping the 7i96s to play with in other machines.)

Have I missed anything? Will this work?

Cheers,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2023 06:19 - 18 Nov 2023 06:33 #285797 by timo
Replied by timo on topic Sanity Check Beginner
I did not do it just going by info I find:

The card can do analog spindle control. Quote: "an isolated analog output is provided for spindle speed control."

And it is listed in Pncconf Wizard, so I would be confident that it does work.

On the other hand:
I doubt that you need anything external for a drill press.
If the inverter (VFD) is not super crude it will have all necessary inputs and outputs for a drill press on board.
RT(F)M of the inverter! (if you do not have a manual, get another inverter! ) . If you just want to play with linux CNC, the inverter and the card, you will have to do the read up anyway.
Speed control by Potentiometer, on off with latching pushbutton, spindle start with footswitch, reverse switch. Some Inverters can also hook up an E-stop.

I was there, I thought I would need anything, but the Mitsubishi Inverter came with all necessary inputs to work stand alone. Only the physical buttons and the enclosure I had to add.
Everything is low voltage, coming from and going to the control panel (and foot switch)

Greetings Timo
Last edit: 18 Nov 2023 06:33 by timo.

More
18 Nov 2023 12:37 #285825 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Sanity Check Beginner
I agree. Be sure to get a VFD with a jog function because it is awesome to tap holes with. I sometimes wonder why I converted my round column mill to CNC.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds