where to begin to convert a Delta Tau CNC controller application to Linux CNC

More
29 Nov 2023 14:37 - 29 Nov 2023 15:06 #286787 by davidp
We are in the process of purchasing two old CNC machines from the 1990's that make contact lenses.  The machine is run by a Delta Tau two or three axis motion controller.  Anyone's suggestion for where to go and how to learn the process of converting the data from assembler language to Linux CNC.  The entire program is about the size of a 1.44mb floppy disk.

The delta tau controller is now out of date and is no longer supported.  There are more on Ebay, I checked.  The idea is we need to update the controller sooner than later.

We could also use another controller, like the Galil motion control, but prefer the Linux for the real time kernel for this particular application.

We will be using Mesa 7i77 for servo control and encoder feedback, and a 5i25 for communication with the host.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2023 15:06 by davidp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2023 17:15 #286804 by smc.collins
What type of data is on the disk ? Gcode for grinding the lenses or the operating system for the machine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidp

More
30 Nov 2023 15:03 #286873 by davidp
Been working on this for months, and the process of learning is very slow. I have spoken with the manufacturer, and "everything is outdated" on the machine itself. They will provide support; although very slow. I will contact Delta Tau, and let you know.

Not yet known what type of data. Could be assembler. It could also be G Code, but the data will show it when we get it. We will be using either hyperterminal to get the program off of the host computer, or Omron (the new owner of Delta Tau), they have a tool using the serial port. Needs a USB to serial port (DB 9) to get the data out.

Thank you for your response, and will get back with you!

david

The idea of this post is to get some idea as to where to start. We have a program we assume works. Linux is primarily for DIY people, and there is the real time kernel for both making contact lenses, and making specialty molds.

More
30 Nov 2023 15:05 #286875 by davidp
One more thing I forgot to write...The machine runs from a host computer, it is not a stand alone application. This could be in gcode; but the machine dates back the the middle 1990's, and quite frankly, we cannot afford a new one at over $350K!

Thank you, again,

david

More
30 Nov 2023 15:14 #286878 by tommylight
Pictures, lots of pictures, we are quite capable of figuring out a lot about a machine just from pictures.
What drives and drive control does it use?
That is the main thing to sort out, do they use analog +-10V or step/dir or PWM control? Are they velocity or torque mode drives, if not step/dir?
Etc...

More
30 Nov 2023 19:32 #286898 by smc.collins
I'm with Tommy, need a lot .ore info. I'm thinking that the system probably has a whole host of macros for lens grinding.

Can you walk us through the operation of the machine. From prescription by optometrist to final product output ?

More
01 Dec 2023 05:47 #286935 by davidp
Just typed out a long response, looks like it was lost...sorry about that!

Here is a new one: www.sterlingint.com/lathes/optoform-80

Here is a used one, sold: caeonline.com/buy/machine-tools/precitech-optoform-50/9133282

Optoform 50. Two air bearing linear slides, and one air bearing spindle. Machine uses something like 10CFM of compressed air.

I have never actually seen one, so I don't exactly know. Drive is Delta Tau controller. Delta Tau no longer--it is now Omron. machine made in 1990's, and has been used for grinding interocular lenses. Interocular lenses are the lenses used to implant in people's eyes following cataract removal surgery.

We wish to make contact lenses with these things.

I did ask about the drive: 0-12 volts is what I was told, however I would be surprised, and probably 0-10 volts driving custom-made Kollmorgen motors. "Everything" about the lathes are outdated, and why I asked about where to start with the conversion of the program to Linux CNC.

Linux is a DIY system, and since they take weeks to respond to our requests, I would rather be on my own than depend on them.

With the slides being air bearings, pretty sure encoder feedback with some sort of velocity feedback because cutting torques are really small. ALso t he machine has a vibration isolation base using some sort of air bearings. Best surfaces in the business...

Definitely not stepper motors.

Regarding macros. I have decades of experience designing and making contact and optical lenses--even before the advent of computers. We just did not have enough money for the custom programs. All of the programs date back to Sir Isaac Newton--about 400 years with updates due to computing power.

Pretty sure the program itself is relatively straightforward with the needed changes in the control language from Delta Tau to Linux CNC.

All you really do to make contacts is generate curves. These are relatively small curves, usually in the 6.00mm-15.00mm range. There are some complex curves, however, I believe these are handled by the host computer, and either downloaded or the host computer generates the code for the lathe itself. I just do not know.

Due to taking months to get any service, we are slow with information. Pretty sure the lathe runs on DOS.

More
01 Dec 2023 06:13 #286936 by davidp
Hello:

For our other old CNC for making contacts, the whole program fits onto a 1.44mb floppy disk. It has not worked in years.

Regarding the contact lens prescription:

The doctor takes keratometer readings, and spectacle Rx. Some doctors design their own lenses. We prefer to design them for doctors because we have more experience in designs. We have a custom-program to do this.

We make gas permeable contacts. The majority of lenses are soft lenses, and probably represent 98% of the contact lens business. Our part has been slowly dying for decades. When I started, there were approximately 450 contact lens labs, now there are less than thirty in the US.

The lens prescription is sent to the lab--either designed for us, or we design. Most are called in, but we do get them by email and fax. Remember, we do have HIPAA compliance to deal with!

From there, we essentially use a canned accounting package, and create a work authorization order. This includes the base curve (the back-side curve of the contact lens) that goes on your eye. Then is the distance (front or near, or bifocal) prescription. Note that there are many designs for contact lenses where the back and front interact to do different things optically. Then the diameter. From that point, we design the edge of the lens using peripheral curves. This is the design of the lens for optimal comfort. This edge design includes the peripheral curve (back-side of the lens) this is the area from the base curve to the edge of the contact lens; the actual edge shape, and the curve transitioning the edge to the front of the lens for the distance prescription.

Think of your cornea as another refractive (or "lens) surface.

It is all relatively simple, and is on the job training. I am the last employee, and trying to survive a few more years.

The diameter can vary quite a bit from about 8.0mm-20mm depending on the lens design. Most gas perm contacts are 8.8-9.5mm. Specialty lenses called sclerals are popular right now. Also expensive.

I could spend hours on this subject; please ask. Just know that having a telephone conversation is probably easier than articulating my thoughts in emails.

The complicated part of making optics is you are making something relatively accurately, and add the fact you need to see through it. This also gets complicated because many people have complicated vision problems. As we get older, these get more complex, but understandable. Add things like trauma, and various health problems that will effect your vision like Keratoconus, or diabetes, or glaucoma, or cataracts, for examples.

When everything is ground, we then final check-out the power, diameter, and check it in a microscope before sending to the doctor, then doctor to patient.

More
01 Dec 2023 06:27 #286938 by davidp
I don't know enough details--I would say the machine runs on ASCII commands.

More
01 Dec 2023 07:16 #286943 by rodw
I would explore some kind of gcode generator. Take your curves and parameters and output the necessary gcode using python.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds