Controller Board for Special Purpose Machine - NVEM Feasibility for Linux CNC

More
08 Dec 2023 14:15 #287536 by Aravind
Hi,
I am trying to build a special purpose machine which operates similar to a gantry robot or a CNC machine.​​​​​​
I need 18 digital output pins, 9 digital input pins and 2 analog input pins for my complete operation. I am planning to control it using LinuxCNC classic ladder.
  • The machine has 4 axis of movement which is controlled by 4 number of NEMA 23 - 3.1Nm torque stepper motors from Leadshine and 4 number of DM556 stepper drivers.
  • The other output pins are used to control some relays.
  • The two analog signal input give a signal of 4-20mA.
  • Other Inputs are for some limit switches and the inputs from my control panel.

I am considering NVEM 6 axis CNC controller board from Novusun to operate my machine.(I would like to get a confirmation on its feasibility)

Link:https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NVEM-CNC-6-axis-mach3-controller_60718775284.html

I had gone through few discussions that says it can be operated by LinuxCNC. As per my understanding these are the steps to follow:
  1. Changing the firmware of NVEM board.(Some guidance for how to do will be appreciated)
  2. Get the HAL file and INI file. 
Kindly let me know whether I am missing some steps. Would like to get some advices for this application..

- Aravind

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2023 15:26 #287540 by cornholio
One of our forum members, Scotta, has been working on firmware. Have a search of the forum and you’ll find what you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aravind

More
08 Dec 2023 16:46 #287551 by tommylight
I would really, really go for Mesa boards in your case as i can not justify the difference in price, you have spent quite some coin by now, get Mesa boards.
What resolution you need for those 2 analog inputs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
09 Dec 2023 06:01 #287613 by Aravind
Thanks for your response.

Well, I am from India. I find that NVEM is readily available for me and I could find some cheep pricings in various websites.
Comparing with one of the available MESA board that suits the application, the price for the MESA board + the cost for importing was found to be 3 times that of NVEM. That's why I am considering to use this board.

And about the resolution of analog inputs, 10 bit resolution with 1 update per second is enough for my application.

I wanted to get a confirmation on whether this NVEM will be feasible for my application before I purchase it.

More
09 Dec 2023 07:53 - 09 Dec 2023 08:00 #287618 by timo
 Haha, if you make it work. It will be feasible at least at the end. If you pay yourself RS xyz per hour,
At the end you will be poor, or rich. (depends if you look at your employer pocket or your employee pocket)

How "high end" are your speed requirements?
I would go for the MESA card, but I pay myself a lot :-)

If your budget is the main concern, you might want to consider these? They are not a fast or high end solution, but they are not very costly :-)
You will have to add your own wiring somehow, because they do not have screw terminals. 
If you PC has card slots you can use more than one of them, I tried two (but I think more than two is also possible).

Greetings Timo

p.s. For 4-20 mA I am sure you can find a suitable small adapter to convert to digital or Voltage.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2023 08:00 by timo.

More
09 Dec 2023 13:50 #287655 by tommylight

I wanted to get a confirmation on whether this NVEM will be feasible for my application before I purchase it.

Do double check this, but i am pretty sure i read here that you can buy the cheapest 3 axis NVEM and after flashing it with Remora (firmware for LinuxCNC) all 6 axis should work.
Go have a read through the Remora topic, it is a long one:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...ernet-nvem-cnc-board
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aravind

More
09 Dec 2023 22:26 #287721 by scotta
You will also need another solution for your analogue inputs. The NVEM / EC300 / EC500 only have digital IO.

More
10 Dec 2023 08:50 #287744 by Aravind
Thanks for your response.
Well the two analog inputs are from two level sensors which give 4-20mA signal. I just need the signals for low and high levels of the sensor. So I am planning to use an op-amp comparator for the same.

I have seen the discussion page started by you and I am going through it.

Hope NVEM will work for my project (would like to get some advices on the steps to be followed)

If I go with this NVEM board for my project, will you be able to guide me through it?

- Aravind

Time to create page: 0.861 seconds