CNC lathe Multi Channel

More
26 Dec 2023 21:52 #289115 by RLA
CNC lathe Multi Channel was created by RLA
Hi...Is there any way to do multi channel machining in linuxcnc?
I would like to have 2 independent cutters that would follow same toolpath but with a space between them where tool2 would do same motion as tool1 but 2 inches later than tool 1 , following same profile...I think i have seen something like that before but I do not know how it was done.

Thanks for any help!!!,

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2023 22:28 - 26 Dec 2023 22:33 #289119 by Mecanix
Replied by Mecanix on topic CNC lathe Multi Channel
Lcnc support single-channel only. Unless you have the means to have two instances running and synchronized by a wait-server, then it 'could' be done.

To this day the cheapest way to build a multi-channel turning machine-tool is to use a Sinumerik 828D-T with the added M-C license (roughly $9k). S120 drives, servos and cabling are additional. All together you're looking at a $20~25k (minimum) investment.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 22:33 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLA

More
26 Dec 2023 23:16 - 26 Dec 2023 23:18 #289125 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CNC lathe Multi Channel
There are several ways of doing more or less what you want.
Just to get things clear, you want 2 Z axis doing the same exact thing just with 2 or more inches in between?
If yes, the simple solution is having both drives for Z joints tied to the same stepgen, be it physically or in hal, so the procedure would be something like:
-disable motors
-move one the second Z by hand to where you need it to be
-enable motors
-run code
Same for spindles, wire to same output or in hal, or have separate control for both as LinuxCNC can handle multiple spindles, just in gcode add M3 $0 and M3 $1 or whatever you set them to.
There is also the possibility of having independent Z axis, easily, post processing will need a bit of work, but should also be quite easy.
I think even doing the "3D printer" stuff like each doing a mirrored piece and switching from one to other type should be possible with a bit of hal fiddling.
-EDIT:
Cr@p i just noticed it is for a lathe, so probably ignore all of the above, or not?
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 23:18 by tommylight. Reason: See above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLA

More
26 Dec 2023 23:22 #289127 by Mecanix
Replied by Mecanix on topic CNC lathe Multi Channel
Turn. Correct. Requires sync, starting at the CAM/kin post-processing...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, RLA

More
28 Dec 2023 12:18 #289242 by RLA
Replied by RLA on topic CNC lathe Multi Channel
I copied this from a previous question that seems similar....does the partial answer i pasted below seem appropriate for my desired use?...

Thanks!!

14 Mar 2022 16:55 - 14 Mar 2022 17:02 #237218
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Multiple Independant Z and C Axis Control Possible?
If you want to control them independently and simultaneously in g-code you will need to have a axis letter assigned for each degree of freedom you intend to control in g-code. Possibilities would be XYZABCUVW and you would be limited to those 9 in g-code. So if you are wanting to have your multiple Z and C axis do different things at the same time you are going to have to use the drive letters. Where things get grey are if you don't need simultaneous independent control. Then you can do things with changing which joints are slaved to what axis letters, but this will add an order of magnitude of complexity to your machine configuration. So if your multiple Z and C axis are either doing the same thing together (slaved) or not simultaneously, then you could possibly use Z1, Z2... and be changing which joint is obeying the axis command using M-codes.

More
01 Aug 2024 10:29 - 01 Aug 2024 10:31 #306598 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic CNC lathe Multi Channel

I copied this from a previous question that seems similar....does the partial answer i pasted below seem appropriate for my desired use?...

Using additional axis letters will only let you run different tool paths by running them sequentially (ie you would have to wait for one to finish until you could start the other). If that is all you need then it may do what you want but that is not multi-channel use.
Multi-channel controllers can run different toolpaths in parallel, basically like running two machines at the same time with the added benefit of being able to synchronize the two to avoid conflicts.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2024 10:31 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds