[AXIS 2.9.2] Position in Preview & DRO tabs aren't in sync. Bug?

More
05 Jan 2024 19:43 #289894 by Mecanix
I've just found out my lathe can take a 6mm DOC. It complained and smoked quite a bit, but it did the cut! I'll repair the damage this weekend, turret looks a good 10deg offset and the insert is obviously fried. In a meantime can one of you guys give AXIS (2.9.2) a quick test and see if you are getting the same behaviour? 

The DRO tab doesn't sync with the position (that's how I got shafted in setting up the wrong wcs and found out, the hard way). If that's the case for your version of AXIS too, might be something to beware of, perhaps qualify as a bug too. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2024 01:06 - 06 Jan 2024 01:25 #289914 by cakeslob
it doesnt update the DRO tab until you move in the DRO tab. something to do with memory or something, but when the DRO tab is closed it stops updating until you move in the DRO tab.

I think theres an option in bwidget for command when tab is raised that we could use instead to update dro when tab is raised.
${pane_top}.right itemconfigure numbers -raisecmd "[redraw_dro];"

something like that, but i dont remember how to make the command work with tcl.
I dont know the implications either
Last edit: 06 Jan 2024 01:25 by cakeslob.

More
06 Jan 2024 10:24 #289945 by Mecanix
Good hint, thanks. I'll look into this and see if I can get it patched. Seems to be working fine when you load a tool, the offsets updates both preview and DRO tabs correctly. What went wrong is I loaded a tool, focused the Preview tab, MDI my wcs position, went back into DRO and calc/set-up using G10 in the MDI. (Realigned the turret today, needed it badly anyway).

Don't know how to fix AXIS though. Prolly safer to just re enable > View > Show offsets, and ignore this naughty DRO tab altogether.  

More
06 Jan 2024 10:29 #289946 by Aciera
That certainly looks like a bug to me, although I cannot reproduce this behavior on my version 2.9.2-14-

More
06 Jan 2024 17:27 #289981 by cakeslob
You should be able to, I dont see any commit where it was fixed. Also not the first time this issue has come up.

1. - Open preview, move, do what ever
2. - Open DRO, at this point they are synced
3. Open Preview, move 5mm
4. Open DRO, at this point the DRO should be 5mm behind the Preview
5. Press Top view (or any view ) button from the toolbar, and watch the DRO fix it self

mechanix, if you press one of the view buttons from the toolbar, for you its Y view, while in the DRO tab, it will update the DRO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
06 Jan 2024 19:15 #289986 by Mecanix
That workaround actually work. I'll try to remember for when manual calc and set-up is required. Thanks, Cakeslob

Considering the fact that this issue was raised several time (I didn't know), in other words you're saying this ain't a bug, but a limitation of AXIS and its DRO panel (memory)? Nobody is taking care of AXIS or something? What's the reason behind if you don't mind me asking, lack of tcl experts?

That's too bad, one of the top reason I loveeeee linuxcnc so damn much is because of the magical simplicity of AXIS' gui. 

More
06 Jan 2024 21:08 - 06 Jan 2024 21:11 #290004 by cakeslob
I dont know why or the actual history, I was under the impression it was something to do with memory, but I dont remember. I just remember seeing a thread about it before I knew how to fix it, and experienced the same issue later.

I think its probably a bug/oversight, and the thing I posted would probably fix it, I just dont know how to do it with the axis.tcl file. We want the dro tab to do the command "redraw_dro", when the tab "numbers" is raised. I just dont know how to link the axis.py command to the axis.tcl file.

The fix is the same as the work around I mentioned. when you press one of the view buttons, it invokes "redraw_dro" . so if our work around works without issue, then it should be fine. I just dont know how to do it, and Im not the kind of guy who likes to make issues, I just prefer to quietly suffer. Since you actually use the DRO, I can do a github issue thing.

You are using the newest version of 2.9? I am using an older one at the moment.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2024 21:11 by cakeslob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
06 Jan 2024 21:58 - 06 Jan 2024 21:59 #290008 by Mecanix
Too kind. If you don't mind raising this up to the devs, since you got the potential fix for it, at least the how-to pointer, that would be much appreciated from all - myself the first. The DRO tab is quite invaluable for those who manually set-up, would be nice to eventually have it sync'd for all versions. Although I'm on the daily 2.9.2-[devbot] mostly and so I can't say which releases it affects. Prolly most of them.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2024 21:59 by Mecanix.

More
06 Jan 2024 23:56 #290017 by phillc54
I posted a patch on the issue  @cakeslob opened so you can try it to make sure it is ok.
Another way to try it is to add the following in a  user_command file  in the config directory.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera, Mecanix

More
07 Jan 2024 01:10 - 07 Jan 2024 01:14 #290023 by Mecanix
Oh it's in sync!! Majestic, you guys are The Best. Just like the Lcnc's AXIS ui. Thanks Phil & Cakeslob, impressive. 

And so there's a TCL expert in the house it seems. Was worried, not anymore though. Keep.it.super.simple and tidy guys...

Last edit: 07 Jan 2024 01:14 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds