Which linux distro is easiest to start with to select for LinuxCNX as of today?

More
09 Jan 2024 21:27 #290301 by forestgril
Hello!

As in the topic. I know linux, I've been using Ubuntu and Fedora a lot. I prefer KDE (or any other simple GUI) to Gnome. My hardware will be a few, maybe even 10 years old.

What is the best choice to most easily start with LinuxCNC - not only for simulations, but to control motors and read actuators? In the begininning I want to control LPT directly, but thinking about MESA or anything else with reliable control frequencies in the range of 100-300kHz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2024 21:33 #290303 by cornholio
Just use the official iso.
Go to the Linuxcnc main page and go to the downloads section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forestgril

More
09 Jan 2024 21:58 #290309 by tommylight
For use with parallel port, use the Wheezy ISO from here:
www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso
For everything else, the official 2.9.2 ISO from the Downloads page.
All those can be booted and used from the USB, without installing them, but the configs will not be saved in that case. You can actually run machines in Live Boot mode, see if that works for you, the install if all is good.
And, Mesa can do much more than 300kHz, some do 10 times more.

More
09 Jan 2024 22:56 #290317 by forestgril
Thank You! If I go for parallel port at first, how much kHz I can expect?

If I am to look for a MESA, what to start with with good value per $?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 Jan 2024 00:04 #290319 by tommylight

If I go for parallel port at first, how much kHz I can expect?

1kHz up to 50kHz, that depends only on the PC used, but the usual range is 10-25kHz.

If I am to look for a MESA, what to start with with good value per $?

Mesa 7i96S, this can be found quite often in stock.
All Mesa boards are very good value per $, that is a given, finding Mesa boards has become quite hard, despite PCW doing everything possible to keep a steady stream.
Other boards
7i92T
7i76E
7i95T

More
10 Jan 2024 00:42 #290320 by forestgril
Thank You very much! Around 16 kHz is what is necessary to step a motor at 600RPM and 1/8 microstep, which should be ok in the beginning?.. (as I understand microsteps are then at 1/8 lower torques so they do not add any precision when load is high)

The "highest" model listed here seems to be the 7i96S, which is also available here and there, but it is 5 axis only and doesn't contain servo encoder feedback.

The seemingly more powerful 6 axis model with servo feedback for each axis: eusurplus.com/index.php?route=product/pr...62_71&product_id=115

is not available immediately (preorder necessary).

The former card does have 5 axis support, which should be more than fine for a beginner. "The 7I96S also has 11 isolated inputs plus 6 isolated outputs for general purpose I/O use. A high speed encoder interface is provided for spindle synchronized motion and an isolated analog spindle output allows spindle speed control . A RS-422/RS485 serial port and a parallel port are provided for I/O expansion ."

I wonder if I am able to use these inputs from micrometric linear scales, to have a feedback for my step motor control. I am thinking of "removing" (rather compensating for) backslash electronically with the rule, that scale numbers are the final truth about position of my table, not motor angle (like in servo and servo-steppers). This way I would not care about wheter motor shaft did the step, but whether the scale masurement got me to the right position. I would push motor steps until I am at the expected value. If I could not achieve it within a reasonable number of steps, it would be an alarm to stop further operation.

1. Does it sound reasonable.
2. Can LinuxCNC support such approach out of the box.

I am a C++ programmer, maybe I can add an extension if 2!=true?

More
10 Jan 2024 01:37 #290321 by tommylight
1 Yes
2 Yes
See also 7i85S, it connects to 7i96S and adds another 4 steppers and 4 encoders/linear scales.
The spindle encoder on 7i96S can also be used for joint/axis encoder/linear scale.
Linear scales must be incremental with TTL/5V output.
If you later need more I/O, add 1 or 2 of 7i84, each has 32 inputs and 16 outputs, easy wiring to 7i96S or 7i85S.

More
10 Jan 2024 08:03 #290334 by forestgril

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds