Having problems with stepper enable driven relay enabled on linux boot

More
22 Jan 2024 19:52 #291363 by reBrick
I am using a Sainsmart 5 axis breakout board (the one without pwm) to drive 5 axes on a knee mill. I am trying to use a relay to power up the stepper driver power supply on the enable pin. It seems to work ok when linuxCNC is running but when I start the machine the enable pin goes high. I tried using a 10k pulldown resistor on the relay but it had no effect, I think it is not simply floating.

Is there some way to set the parallel port pin value on startup or some other way to drive the relay besides the enable pin? I often leave linuxCNC running and power down the steppers so I can resume what I was working on later without having to rehome. I intend to use the onboard relay to drive the spindle.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2024 06:47 #291392 by tommylight
Parallel port will change pin states during PC boot as it is used for diagnosing BIOS stuff.
Add on PCI to parallel cards do not do that.
The only way to avoid this is to use a charge pump or to check and find a pin that does not change state during boot.
B.T.W do not cut the DC power to drives, never. Cut the AC side.

More
24 Jan 2024 07:42 #291500 by reBrick
Tommy, thanks for the response.

I am using 3 PCIE to parallel port cards (SD-PEX10005). One for mill, one for lathe and one for MPG pendant. Is it possible the breakout board is causing this and not the lpt card?

I moved over to one of the 5 axis breakout boards with PWM so I can convert spindle to VFD and it behaves the same as the sainsmart bob as far as enable high. I have some spare pins on the pendant db25, but I haven't had a chance to test them isolated from board connection. I spent the day installing the refactored tower in the shop.

I have the relay on the AC input to the stepper driver PSU.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds