MESA board recommendations for 7 axis

More
17 Feb 2024 19:34 #293643 by TheRealGoose
I have found plenty of posts on here about picking mesa boards, but I am not really sure what specific I/O, outputs, etc. I need to make my machine work. I plan to have 7 steppers controlling a 5 axis machine. The X and Z axis will both have two motors, and each other axis will have 1. I don't need all that much I/O, but I would like to have individual homing/limit switches for each of the 7 axis, if that is possible. Other than that I think I will only need spindle speed. I do not know if I should control it with parallel or ethernet, or what the advantages of each would be. Would it be possible to get a parallel bob work for my purposes? Any help is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2024 20:00 #293647 by tommylight
Option 1
Use a PC with parallel port and add another addon PCI to parallel port
Or
A newish PC with 2 of PCI-E to parallel cards (some have 2 ports on one card so only one needed), but do bare in mind some PCI-E do software emulation so do not work at all for machine control.
This gets you 24 outputs and 10 inputs total, you need 14 just for the drives.
-you can do it with a single port if you wire 2 drives of the same axis together, only 5 inputs though.
Option 2
Mesa 7i92T has 2 ports with 34 pins total but each pin can be input or output or whatever needed, much, much faster step rates compared to parallel port.
- both above options will work with or without a BOB, BOB makes wiring easier but some can limit step rates even for parallel port.
Option 3
Mesa 7i96S and 7i85S gives you 9 totally independent stepgens, 11 inputs and 6 outputs ( i think), and full spindle VFD control with encoder feedback if you do end up needing it.
This can be wastly extended with Smart Serial cards, like 7i84 with 32 inputs and 16 outputs, 7i70 with 48 inputs, 7i71 with 48 outputs, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealGoose

More
17 Feb 2024 21:30 #293654 by TheRealGoose
For option 2, will I need to use any additional boards with the 7i92T?

More
17 Feb 2024 21:41 #293658 by tommylight
No.
Wiring is tricky though, if you do not use BOB's, and very sensitive to miss wiring or overvoltage.
If you go with 7i92T, you can at any time add a 7i76 or 2 of 7i85S.
In short, Mesa are very versatile and easy to extend capabilities.
Having said that, i use bare 7i92 on plasma cutting machines with no BOB, directly wired to drives and "arduino" relays, never had any issues, despite plasma being extremely "noisy" and causing huge amounts of interference. This does require having some knowledge of proper wiring and grounding/shielding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealGoose

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds