Mesa 7i96s limit switches and homing switches

More
19 Feb 2024 22:53 #293803 by garja
I'm setting up my limit and homing switches on my Mesa 7i96s card. I'm using normally closed inductive proximity sensors for limit switches located at the end of each access so there are 8 total considering I'm using dual stepper motors on the Y axis. Each inductive sensor is getting it's power from a 24V power supply and then the 3rd wire goes attaches to input pins 0 through 7. The micro switches (3 total) I intend to use can be setup as normally open and normally closed. I'm going to set them up as normally closed. It's the micro switches that has me confused. There are 3 contacts on the switches, NO, NC and then C which I belive stands for common. If I am installing them to work NC, what pins do I connect the common to, and where do I connect the NC side? Can the I power them from my 5v power supply? and if so, NC side go to the power supply and then then NC side go to one of the input pins I have open?    Inductive Proximity Sensor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2024 00:15 #293811 by zmrdko
Yes, C stands for common. Microswitch is same as any other switch. When switch is off there is connection between C and NC pins. When the switch is pressed, the connection shifts to pins C and NO. For safety purposes its safer to use NC signals in general, since breaking wire will result in signalling that there is something wrong. So, you want to use pins C and NC - there is no difference, which way around.
If you IN common (label COM on TB3) is GND, then you want to bring +24V to C and NC goes to input.
Your COM should depends on whether you use PNP or NPN switches:

As manual says:

For PNP type sensors or switches with a common positive, the input common pin
is grounded and the sensor or switch applies a positive voltage to the input pin to activate
the input.

For NPN type sensors or switches with a common ground, the input common is
connected to +5 to +36V and the input pins are grounded to activate an input
The following user(s) said Thank You: garja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds