couple basic questions

More
16 Mar 2024 03:05 #296021 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic couple basic questions
Just another thing to think about, a mesa 7i92t is about $109USD, better value than a 4x PCIe GPU.
Connects via Ethernet, so easy to change computers if things go bust as long as it has a on board\PCI\PCIe ethernet connection. Latency is easier to achieve as only a 1ms servo thread is required. With the right firmware it will plug into your existing BoB that you connect to your existing setup. Step generation is taken away from the PC. No frustrations in trying to source a MB with a Parallel Port or trying to find Parallel Ports that work, which seems to be an issue. Plus you get an extra 17 I/O pins.

May not be the kind of $$$ you may want to throw at it, but IMHO it's a solid way to go and saves a lot of frustration trying to find replacement PC if\when it goes bust.

You can even use a RPi4 or 5 which is a pretty decent reduction in power consumption, but this is extra $$$.

As for the server boards for Linuxcnc, never had much luck, actually never had much luck Xeon Processors, either in single or dual CPU setups, not that I spent a lot of time with them.

One good PC I have experience with is a Lenovo ThinkStation ( I have several ThinkPad's ThinkStations & ThinkCentres in regular use) m72e Tower (not the sff model) with a 3~GHz i5. I actually found this on the side of the road with a Gseries celeron. The only down side with these boards is that they require the Lenovo 26 pin header to DB25 connector, as they did some trickery, pin is connected to GPIO pin on the super IO chip that enables the printer port. Without this cable the Printer Port wont show up in the BIOS.
I'm actually using this with the Parallel Port on my Myford ML7/S7 cnc conversion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds