Neverending problems with Linux

More
16 Mar 2024 15:59 - 16 Mar 2024 16:02 #296070 by denhen89
Hello Guys,
i have a CNC Router and a CNC Lathe with linuxcnc  (Debian Wheezy) in my workshop, and a windows pc with Fusion 360, where i do create my machining programs.
I would like to be able to save those files and have access to them from my Lathe pc or Router pc. This is nothing special, or at least if shouldnt be, but not on Linux.
For now i tried at least 4 different things to be able to share files between my Windows pc and the Linuxcnc pc, but non is working.
I cannot tell anymore what exactly i have tried, but one problem after another just makes me extremly pissed, because it remembers me how much time and nerves i lost doing really simple things like setting up the network, installing google chrome (also impossible it seems) and some other things.
I tested something with cifs-util: I followed at least 3 tutorials, all where with about the same commands for the terminal, but everytime i get some GLIC.2.7 missing (i dont know anymore the correct name)
I then tried dropbox
Then tried onedrive.
I have headache. 3-4 hours lost as always when trying to do something with linux.

Ps: since 2017 its the 3 time i try to get this file sharing done, but today is the first time i decide to post about it, because i just dont want to run around unplugging and pluggin the usb stick.

Does it have something to do that debian wheezy (with the 2.8 version) is so old? Or what is the problem?
I cant even install google chrome, which i think i need, so that i can open at least the ONEDRIVE browser website, so that i can download the files from onedrive. Onedrive website is not loading on iceweasel.

Is there a option to update the ?DISTRO?, so that i have linuxcnc running on a system that is less problematic, where its possible to do simple things as e.g. install google chrome, install onedrive or at least open the god damn website :D.
Guys, dont get me wrong. I have nothing against Linuxcnc.

I dont expect you to explain me how to get it done, but as i said, i have read at least 3 tutorials for the cifs-util, a couple for dropbox and a couple for Onedrive, but always i get a error, where is dont expect to get a error, because i am doing everything exactly as in the tutorial. I am copying those commands.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2024 16:02 by denhen89.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2024 17:49 #296079 by cornholio
It’s really hard to diagnose as you aren’t saying what the errors are.
Are you absolutely positive that windows has file sharing setup properly ? This can be an issue.
Another thing that can be a pain is setting up permissions.

It could also help if you had a link to one or two of the tutorials you tried, then we’d know where you’re at.
Also the version of windows you are using as well.
Another option is that some routers have an option for file sharing, you plug a USB drive in and set it up according to your router. Sometimes this is a bit easier as the access settings aren’t so paranoid.
But the very first thing you need to establish is that you can ping each pc from one another.

More
16 Mar 2024 18:26 #296082 by cornholio
Just another thought, have you looked into setting up FileZilla as a FTP server on the windows machine ?
Haven’t tried it myself as a server but have used it as an FTP client and have had zero issues.

More
16 Mar 2024 18:45 #296085 by tommylight

Just another thought, have you looked into setting up FileZilla as a FTP server on the windows machine ?
Haven’t tried it myself as a server but have used it as an FTP client and have had zero issues.

It can also do SFTP, so i used this for many years (20? more?) till i made a NAS last year from an old mainboard and 5 SSD, later added 3 HDD to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denhen89

More
16 Mar 2024 18:49 #296087 by andypugh
I always use Avahi and Samba. Though I am sharing between Linux and Mac.

Samba is classi Windows filesharing, Avahi is the Linux version of Bonjour / Zeroconf and is what lets the PCs on the network find each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denhen89

More
16 Mar 2024 18:54 - 16 Mar 2024 19:03 #296088 by denhen89
Sorry, i should have provided more information, but i just thought that maybe someone will say something like its because of the debian wheezy version or so, then i would just not anymore try to get it to work through network file sharing and would look for a different solution, like what you posted in the second reply.
I have a webspace where i could upload the files and then download it on the cnc pc, and for the upload i would use filezilla, but not sure if i can save the programm file from fusion 360 straight to a folder on the webspace. You helped me to find a alternative solution and before i will continue with fixing problems not knowing what i really do, i will just do it that way. All my computers are connected through LAN cable, so downloading the files is better than using the usb stick.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2024 19:03 by denhen89.

More
16 Mar 2024 20:42 #296096 by denhen89
I forgot to mention that, yes , i can ping the windows computer. I also turned off the firewall for some time to test. I did what i needed to do in windows (as in the tutorials), so i believe i have such problems, because some packages are missing and i cant download them because of old or not active reposorities. I made a update of a lot of apps/files, but there are always some errors.
Tomorrow when i will do it again, at least i will try with samba and cifs-util or what the name was and then i will let you know what are the errors.

More
17 Mar 2024 03:17 - 17 Mar 2024 07:18 #296104 by cornholio
Ok I just install Wheezy in a Virtual machine.

To get things to work I had to setup Win10 to use smb1
learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...v1-v2-v3?tabs=server

Set up a share on the windows machine.

Open Thunar file manager
Goto View --> Location Selector and select Toolbar Style

In toolbar type IP_ADDRESS_OF_SERVER in the IP address of your windows machine WINDOWS_USER_NAME is the user name on the windows machine
smb://WINDOWS_USER_NAME@IP_ADDRESS_OF_SERVER/
NAME_OF_SHARE
You should then get a popup window asking for user name & password

This was from a fresh install and not installing any other software on the debian machine. Browsing sucks so all I do is use the above method
This method doesn’t require any editing of files on your Debian machine.
Also when the first pop up appears you can select to remember the password so you don’t have to enter it again.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2024 07:18 by cornholio.

More
17 Mar 2024 03:19 #296105 by Mecanix
$ sudo apt install samba
$ sudo -s
$ mkdir /home/share
$ chmod 777 /home/share
$ exit

$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
unix charset = UTF-8

#### Networking ####
interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 enp3s0 192.168.10.0/24 wlp1s0 192.168.10.0/24
bind interfaces only = yes
map to guest = Bad User

#======================= Share Definitions =======================
### add below at the end of the file. 

[Share]
path = /home/share
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
create mode = 0777
directory mode = 0777

$ sudo systemctl restart smbd.service

Note my interfaces (enp3s0 & wlp1s0). replace that with yours, along with your network addressing. 
Fairly simple and fail-proof. All my linux workstation are configured the same. 

Lastly, assuming your linux machine has anb ip of 192.168.10.100, create a windows shortcut with the following as the location of the item:
\\192.168.10.100\share

The following user(s) said Thank You: meister

More
17 Mar 2024 09:50 #296112 by denhen89
Oh damn. I wrote a text and wanted to post it but then clicked on "use editor" and now the text is gone. I am writing from my phone. On pc the text is always there after clicking go to editor.. and I just wanted to post a picture.
I have only about 30min left, but I will make it as short as possible.

I connected to the windows pc, I see folders, I see also the shared folder, bur when I click it I get a error, failed to mount.

I will continue and maybe try what Mecanix wrote, but i believe it doesnt make sense for now, because i seem to be connected, but just cant access the shared folder. I can open other folders that i see, but i dont see any files inside the folders.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds