Getting virtualbox working in linuxcnc.

More
21 Mar 2024 05:02 #296438 by CNC101shed

Hi

I have been trying to install the new version of linuxcnc. Never had any problems with the older versions going back to ubuntu 8.04.
I always have been able to install virtualbox on any of the systems in between. This being the case I went about it in another way. I install debian 12 as an alone standing base system and added virtualbox in the usual way. Worked like a charm. Now came the crunch, I installed the rt kernel. As soon as I restated with the new kernel this came up.  See attachment.

How can this be rectified? Restarted the computer with the original kernel. No problem. Also tried to run /sbin/vboxconfig in sudo su. it just regurgitates what happened when I start Vbox.  and Terminal output sbin vboxconfig Screenshot_2024-03-21_15-48-24.png

I run windows 7 in virtualbox so I can use aspire to fix up any small irrigularities in any files without having to break work
I'm running on my cnc mill The workshop is a good 100 meters from my home, can't run up and down all the time.

Thanks in advance.
Gary

ps. This is a brand new linuxcnc setup.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2024 11:46 #296461 by rodw
UEFI does not allow changes to the kernel module so this is not actually a linuxcnc issue, just the way the world is going.
If you are unable to disable UEFI in your BIOS, you will need to create a MOK (Machine Owner Key) and install it for the modules it refers to 
Google search: linux uefi signing module
Debian: wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot

I did do some very brief instructions in a spoiler  in this thread for installing ethercat forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45336-etherc...-how-to-step-by-step

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds