Absolute cheapest CNC chassis?

More
27 Mar 2024 16:39 #296919 by scottlaird
This is an odd question, with a bit of odd background.

I could use a "scratch CNC" for testing the EtherCAT code that I've been working on for months.  It may never actually mill anything, and it certainly doesn't need to be *good* at anything.  It just needs 3-ish steppers, some limit switches, and the ability to home and move without falling apart.  NEMA 17 steppers would be nice, because there are more options for replacing them.

I'll end up replacing the controller, etc, that comes with it.  Smaller hardware is good, as it needs to fit into my office space.

Is there a downside to just picking up something like one of the cheap GRBL 3018s off of Amazon for $160-200?  I'm sure they're all lousy CNCs, but I'm just looking for the quickest route to having a semi-usable 3-axis chassis.  Is there anything even cheaper that would work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2024 17:14 #296922 by tommylight
Do you have a 3D printer?
Do you have any linear rods with bearings?
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/46752...ver-etcher-scratcher
My design, so feel free to use and misuse however you see fit, it has Nema 17, one on X and 2 on Y, but has no Z as it uses pressure from a 3 phase servo motor yanked out of old photocopiers, should be easy enough to make something usable for Z, i can also (probably) provide the exact FreeCAD files, the whole machine with assemblies and stuff, if i can find it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scottlaird

More
27 Mar 2024 17:18 #296924 by scottlaird
Yes on 3D printer, no on spare rods and bearings. I'm not convinced that spending $140 on a Really Bad CNC from Amazon and throwing all of the control hardware away is more expensive/more work than sourcing linear rods and 3D printing a bunch of stuff.

Nifty project, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Mar 2024 09:17 #296973 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Absolute cheapest CNC chassis?
Something like one of these
www.vevor.com.au/wood-engraving-machine-c_11142
Prices are in AUD so cheap as chips and vevor will be in your country.

More
29 Mar 2024 06:23 #297063 by scottlaird
That's pretty similar to what I was looking at on Amazon, except I found an even smaller model for slightly less. I'll discuss it with The Budget Committee this weekend and try to get her to sign off on it ;-).

More
29 Mar 2024 11:29 #297094 by andypugh
For a trial setup:

Etch-a-Sketch
emergent.unpythonic.net/projects/01142347802

Wall drawing Bipod:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Koppi%27s_Toy

(The latter, doubled up, has been used as a hot-wire foam cutter with XYUV control)

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds