First try at LinuxCNC

More
18 May 2024 16:24 #300921 by mbennett
I have been using G-code sender with a FluidNC board successfully.  Decided to give LinuxCNC a try.  Current setup is Raspberry PI5 to a Byte2bot parallel port RaspberryPI Hat to a generic 5-axis breakout board.  Connected a DM556T digital stepper drive from Steppersonline to Nema23 motor.  I followed the instructions on creating a setup using the LinuxCNC Stepconf Wizard then replacing the hal file with the one downloaded from Byte2bot.  When I get to the motor test screen the motor doesn't jog.  I've tried several other setups for machines, Sherline, Tormach, ...  So it seems my software configuration is not setup right.  this forum has a lot of discussion areas.  Which would be the best to start a conversation about trouble shooting my setup issue?  I've watched too many videos and read a lot of documentation files that have not yield a good result.  Appreciate some direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2024 16:43 #300922 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic First try at LinuxCNC

I followed the instructions on creating a setup using the LinuxCNC Stepconf Wizard then replacing the hal file with the one downloaded from Byte2bot.

This sounds a bit odd to me as the Stepconf Wizard would be used to CREATE a .hal file for your setup. It does not seem to make much sense to create it and then replace it.
So I presume you are maybe in the process of setting things up using the StepConf Wizard and have configured the pins (steps/dir) for the stepper drives and are unable to jog the motors?
Are the motors energized (ie are they locked in position if you try to turn the shaft by hand)?

More
18 May 2024 16:49 #300924 by mbennett
Replied by mbennett on topic First try at LinuxCNC
Yes, the motor is energized.  It's holding position.  I've tried using the files as generated by the StepConfig.  During the config a window opens that allows you to test jog the motor.  Nothing happens.  No errors either.  

More
18 May 2024 17:41 #300925 by Aciera
I'm not familiar with the Parallel Pi Hat but looking at the config files in this post it seems to me that you may need to load a gpio component to get it working. I'm not sure that the StepConf Wizard does that for you.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...i-5?start=180#297833

More
21 May 2024 02:01 #301048 by poptops
Replied by poptops on topic First try at LinuxCNC
I have the exact problem with Pi5 using Byte2Bot Parallel board.  Same everythng you said.  I will join in if I figure out anything.  
As for 'why do we replace the .hal' file:  The wizard doesn't know the maping of pins from Rpi5 GPIO pin numbers/names to DB25 pins so they come out scrambled and you need to correctly associate them.  That the sample .hal code supplied can still need more unscrambling because you might not have the same pins to your CNC controller.   I've done my best and still have dead steppers.   The controller and steppers are fine.  I can connect to other console based Dell resident LinuxCNC.   Let you know.  Help is welcome.

More
21 May 2024 02:12 - 21 May 2024 02:20 #301049 by poptops
Replied by poptops on topic First try at LinuxCNC
Show hal provides no help to me.  Will trace it out with a scope tomorrow.
Last edit: 21 May 2024 02:20 by poptops.

More
21 May 2024 08:56 #301063 by Aciera
Ok, I got confused by 'replacing the hal file' vs 'modifying the hal file'

Anyway I guess you have seen the schematics in these links:
byte2bot.com/blogs/instructions/setting-...-the-pi-parallel-hat
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0727/8601/8601...ev2.pdf?v=1707368836

I would seem that if you followed that pin out then you would be able to use the gpio mapping used in the example config for a RPi5:
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0727/8601/8601...Pi5.hal?v=1705210460

But again I'm not familiar with that particular piece of hardware.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds