Brother tc215

More
23 May 2024 12:20 #301197 by Philip Lydin
Brother tc215 was created by Philip Lydin
Hello! 
My name is Philip im 15 years old and me and my brother who is 19 are currently in the progress of rebuilding and retrofitting a brother tc215 that hasnt been used in the past 15 or so years. It was real dirty when we bought the machine so we decided to take it apart, clean and paint everything. By now we have taken apart and put together the y and x axis. I also took apart and cleaned the ballscrew nut and the linear rail carriges ( the 15 yo dried grease was no fun ). We thought about reballing them but never got to it. If the backlash is bad we will probably do it then. So i have some questions, we will probably replace all of the axis motors and drives, they are very small 150 watt toshiba motor and 300w on z. Thinking of using
stepperonlines t6 series servos. 750w for x and y and 1kw for z. They are just rebranded leadshine motors which i have heard good things about ( and they are very cheap ). Then the spindle motor and driver i will keep for now and see if its power is enough. ive gotten the pinout to the drive and it looks simple enough.  The orientation seems to be abit tricky. The atc motor i will replace for a closed loop stepper or a integrated servo i have laying around so that will be very simple to drive. The servo motors are step/dir so im thinking the mesa 7i96s ( almost the only thing in stock in europe ) will be a good fit for my project. Will the 16mm ballscrew and 20mm thk rails be enough for milling in harder metals like stainless and so on. To get a bigger ballscrew should´nt be so bad but the rails im not to sure about. i guess we have to wait and see. Do you think the motors are oversized i have gotten mixed opinions i just dont want to get them and they then turn out to be to small. im probably going to start ordering some electronics some time next week when i have put together the z axis assembly.

Now please feel free to answer some questions, add some questions and share your concerns and opinions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2024 15:18 #301214 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Brother tc215
Probably the 400W ones would be enough, but you can always limit current to bigger ones, you can not add current to small ones.
BTW, if you do get 750W ones, first thing you do is limit the current ss they can easily deform the ballscrew if pushed.
Do the old drives work? Are they brushed or brushless?
I tend to use old ones if they are in good condition, so just in case you need analog +-10V for old drives, Mesa 7i96S with Mesa 7i85 and 7i83 will do just fine, although if you wait a bit you can probably find 7i97T as they are awailable in US, so take some time to get to Europe.
The good thing about the above 7i96S/7i85/7i83 combo is that it will work for step/dir and analog drives, so that is what i would get most of the time.
Does it have an ATC ?

More
23 May 2024 15:34 - 23 May 2024 15:35 #301218 by Philip Lydin
Replied by Philip Lydin on topic Brother tc215
i will probably go for the bigger motors since i want to unlock more milling capabilities. When would the deformation happen, at high load or acceleration?
i dont really want to wait for the cards from the us and the 7i96s should have enough input/outputs and for the less important stuff like lighting, button etc i will use arduino for expansion. Yes it has the drum style atc with the mechanical drawbar.
Last edit: 23 May 2024 15:35 by Philip Lydin.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds