Trying out LinuxCNC on Raspberry PI5

More
26 May 2024 20:05 #301518 by mbennett
I setup a Raspberry PI5 using this download: 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2024 23:20 #301535 by Grotius
What's the easiest interface board for a new user to use
Parport bob is easy to use.
There are guides to set it up.

More
27 May 2024 09:49 #301554 by cornholio
Unless the BoB provides 3.3 <> 5.0v translation you're gunna have a bad day.

I don't think there are any sim configs for the RPi, most config will need post config.

This may help you out....there is another user trying this out, juest recently

byte2bot.com/products/parallel-port-raspberry-pi-hat

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...i-5?start=180#297833

Then after that it's either DIY or Mesa.

More
27 May 2024 12:39 #301573 by mbennett
I tried the byte2bot board. Couldn't get it to work. Requires alteration of the HAL file that i don't understand. I'm looking for a combination of board and setup that doesn't require any changes to the HAL file. Will a Mesa board do that? If so which one and which setup?

Thanks

More
27 May 2024 15:33 #301595 by cornholio
Well mate ya gunna be well outta luck.

It you want the easiest option a PC with a parallel port will just about get you there.

Or you can ask for help with the board you have.

Even a Mesa card will require you to at least have the firmware you require and setting of an IP address on the Ethernet side. There's no SPI support for the RPi5, despite what the blurb says. Trust me I think I've wasted money getting a Rpi5 for Linuxcnc.

To use the GPIO a driver has to be load and setup correctly. I don't even know if Linuxcnc supports a GPIO to serial adapter or what you mean. JT has a config tool for that floating around. Andy Pugh has the low down on how it works.

The thing is there are that many machines and combinations at at the least you ave to use at PCconf for mesa or stepconf for a parallel port setup for a PC.

We'll help but you'll have to put some effort in. If you don't want to put the effort in that's your loss.

But for a 2 axis milling machine and the level of effort you want to put in grbl might be a better option for you.

More
27 May 2024 23:33 #301625 by cakeslob
your best bet is a mesa ethernet card or get an RPi4

Im sure your configuration issue isnt anything that difficult. Im sure the company, or other users could help you to figure it out. It is also beneficial long term to try and learn the HAL

Most setups require you to do something,, but a mesa ethernet board you can use the config program, or a flexihal ethernet thing comes without changing the config but you need to load new firmware probably
or contact byte2byte to ask them for assistance

But also for anyone else interested, this fellow in the Other Languages section, has made some kind of RPi GPIO config tool

forum.linuxcnc.org/37-international-linu...-cnc-software#286005

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds