LinuxCNC vs Klipper

More
24 Jun 2024 14:18 #303694 by cncproject2024
Hi, I am new to CNC and have been tasked with designing and building a CNC adhesive dispenser that will eventually be integrated in a ROS environment alongside a robotic arm. I was wondering if it would be easier to run an adhesive dispenser through a LinuxCNC or Klipper and additionally, what one would be easier to integrate with ROS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2024 15:49 #303699 by jimmyrig
Replied by jimmyrig on topic LinuxCNC vs Klipper
So many questions.....

Why ros? Linuxcnc can do everything (robot and tape dispenser) and takes a few days to setup at most ...
imo ros is not very good.... So clumsy and bloated.... Takes forever to get anything done.... Seems faster to just code things from scratch....But maybe my brain is too smooth to understand it.

Imo if you are using it industrially use linuxcnc with a mesa board (7i96s prob) or a PLC. If it's for fun use whatever you want (klipper, rasp pi, 3x printer boards, etc). Raspberry pis are typically not as reliable as a PC with a mesa board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DPFlex

More
24 Jun 2024 16:15 #303701 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC vs Klipper

Linuxcnc can do everything (robot and tape dispenser) and takes a few days to setup at most ...
imo ros is not very good.... So clumsy and bloated.... Takes forever to get anything done.... Seems faster to just code things from scratch...

I have to agree with that.
Have not looked at ROS in several (probably over 10) years, but i did not like anything about it, it was one of the many "does everything under the sun" that actually did nothing without investing humongous amounts of time and effort, no idea what state it is in now and frankly i do not care.
As i use Klipper and LinuxCNC daily, and install and setup both weekly, i can officially state this:
They are not in the same planet!
LinuxCNC i can run and leave 16 ton industrial machines working all day with no supervision, it never ever messes up
Klipper i have to monitor all the time as any hiccup can burn my shop to the ground, it uses serial ports (yes serial, not USB, although through USB), it requires gigabytes of software just to run a 3D printer, it goes on hiatus and hussy fins sometimes with no error reports or anything pointing to why it failed, GUI tends to fail often, etc, etc, but when it does work it does the job perfectly.
-
In short,
-i do trust LinuxCNC with Axis GUI and Mesa hardware always and for anything and everything
-i do not trust Klipper for more than a few minutes without monitoring
-and if ROS has not been done from the ground up lately, i do not trust it for anything except experimenting, maybe
-i do not trust many industrial controls on huge machines, had them lock up or fail at random way to often for what they are.
-But I DO trust LinuxCNC to run industrial machines, absolutely !
This is from nearly 20 years of experience and LinuxCNC never failing, ever!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimmyrig, DPFlex

More
26 Jun 2024 10:18 #303822 by Becksvill
Replied by Becksvill on topic LinuxCNC vs Klipper
tommylight

i have setup about 10 machines now all about 5tons and i agree

in the 8 years or so i have been using linuxcnc i have never had a issue

i have had a gui lockup a few times when i had a low power computer running it but the realtime stuff has never faulted i also use a mesa card everytime

and analog control and servos with closed loop
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, DPFlex

More
26 Jun 2024 13:12 #303828 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC vs Klipper
Back when Ubuntu 10.04 was in use with LinuxCNC 2.6 i think, the pc locked up, the screen went black ( not off) and still the machine kept running and finished the part, 3 hours after the pc failed.
That is more a Linux thing, but still, the resiliance is impressive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DPFlex

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds