Linuxcnc on my machine?

More
14 Jul 2024 21:49 #305175 by Linuxcncnoob
Hello.
I am running or trying to run an Avid cnc router and plasma combo with rotary.
After 3 years of messing with this and replacing 3 pc's and multiple install I can confidently say that Mach4 is garbage. Machine is solid.
I am looking into replacing the electronics for either Uccnc or Linuxcnc. In the future build a plasma only table running either Linuxcnc or Myplasm cnc because from what I see both of these have a better way to recover a failed cut than Uccnc and Mach4.

Now I have 3 available pc's i5 4th gen 8gb hdd, i7 4th gen 20gb hdd and i5 11th gen 16gb ssd. are all these 3 a good choice for Linuxcnc?

Is Debian 12 good for Linuxcnc? I am a total noob on Linux ...I am using right now an old toshiba laptop that could not run windows and running Linuxmint smoothly but more than a month struggling to boot up from hd :/ still booting from usb.

I was advised on a Mesa 7196s+THCAD2  but I need to drive 6 motors...1 for the rotary...I was so fed up with Mach4 that I did not even bothered to use the rotary.
What to do in this case?
going from Mesa to the motor drivers do I need a breakoutboard?
Which values would I need from Mach4 to use in Linuxcnc?
Is Linuxcnc is good with probing?

My plan is to install Debian on one of my old desktop and install Linuxcnc uspace to test the simulation.
One thing I do not understand about Linux terminal....If I install from the terminal which version does it install?

Let me know If I am in the right direction here....I am trying to make parts not trying to make the machine run.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2024 22:10 #305176 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Linuxcnc on my machine?
The new LCNC install ISO was just released. Using this is usually the easiest way to test the PC in question.

linuxcnc.org/downloads/

DD the iso to a flash drive and boot from it. Run the latency test.

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc_2.9.3-amd64.hybrid.iso

More
15 Jul 2024 06:32 #305201 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Linuxcnc on my machine?
Mesa 7i96S can drive 10 steppers, 5 on its screw terminals and another 5 on the 26 pin header.
Using a BOB and an adapter cable from IDC26 to DB25 is prefferable for ease of use/installation.
Might need firmware flashing, though, so use mesaflash to read the existing firware, and if needed, to flash the new firmware.
Mesaflash is included with the official ISO.

More
15 Jul 2024 08:22 #305209 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Linuxcnc on my machine?
I would use the oldest PC (i5, 4th gen) Most of my Linuxcnc  PC's are Celeron 4 gb, but an i3 I am working on now is also nice.
Stick with Debian 12 as that's what our ISO is based on.

Set up 2 configs. One for the router with QTdragon_HD and one for the plasma using QTplasmac and select them depending on what you want to do.

QTdragon is very good with probing. I premeasure my tools and do a manual tool change with TTS holders but it also supports tool length measurement. Follow Tommy's advice on the 6th motor.
Also, you may need to get an extra Mesa 7i84 I/O board as you may run out of inputs. THis connects  via smart serial so it can be installed with a BOB.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Jul 2024 00:59 - 16 Jul 2024 01:37 #305302 by Linuxcncnoob
This is some great info.
I am going to install the iso on the old pc and see how it goes.

Another question on the probing can it do points to cloud? this is something I am really interested in.
Probe a surface and import in my cad so I can recreate a model.

Also the Linuxcnc pc that is running the machine do you guys run other programs in it or is it solely used to run the machine.
I need to run sheetcam, maybe inkscape and vcarvepro if it can be installed (wine)

Anyone know if there is a way to extract all the nessecay info from Mach4 to use whatever is usable when the time comes to install linuxcnc?

I have already bought a cheap probe for when I change systems.
Thank you!

Last edit: 16 Jul 2024 01:37 by Linuxcncnoob.

More
16 Jul 2024 03:39 #305311 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Linuxcnc on my machine?
There are some surface probing routines around. Not sure how good it would be importing a model.
Its fine to run other programs But I don't when cutting.
There used to be a feature in stepconf to import mach3. No idea if it does Mach4
The most useful info is the steps per in Mach. I found it very quick to get a working config if I created a basic working config and hand edited the ini file.

More
22 Jul 2024 20:34 #305875 by Linuxcncnoob
I managed to install Linuxcnc on an old pc.

It seems for what I want or need.
a 7I95T + THCAD2 would be the way to go.

The thing is my machine is Router/plasma combo with rotary and laser and on top of that a probe will need to be installed.
In the future I will separate the tables.

Thanks to all!

More
23 Jul 2024 08:03 #305895 by jimmyrig
Replied by jimmyrig on topic Linuxcnc on my machine?
I have a plasma with 6 steppers as well

It's working great with qtplasmac, 7i96s, 2thcads one for the one for ohmic, parallel port breakout for the other steppers board running on a ryzen 1600

Couldn't recommend it enough. Use 2.9.2 if you want the rotary to work 2.10 wasn't working with the sheetcam post as of a few months ago.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds