Probing: Delay after trigger?

More
22 Jul 2024 06:42 - 22 Jul 2024 06:45 #305834 by jdryg
Replied by jdryg on topic Probing: Delay after trigger?
FWIW, I added a Mesa output to my HAL, connected to the same signal used for motion.probe-input in order to monitor it with the oscilloscope along with the touch probe's trigger signal.

The total delay is 2-3ms (see attachment;CH1 is the probe trigger signal, CH2 is the Mesa output).

The reason it's not ~1ms (servo period) is that I had an OR gate connected to motion.probe-input for both a touch probe and a tool setter and the OR's function was executed after hm2_7i92.0.write. Removing the OR gate and connecting the Mesa input used for the touch probe directly to motion.probe-input (and the new output) dropped the delay to 1-2ms (I don't have a screenshot for that).

Either way, even 3ms delay does not explain the pretravel variation I'm observing, so the problem must be somewhere else. At 50mm/min probing speed, the total error introduced by that delay should be around 2.5um (given that I didn't make a mistake in my calculations). So not an actual problem at the moment.

Looking at my HAL file (initially generated by PNCconf) I wondered whether I need the PIDs (EDIT: I'm using open-loop steppers). After searching the forums I found that it helps with position estimation (if I understood correctly). A couple of questions:

1. How do the PIDs affect the position recorded during probing?
2. Is the following snippet correct or it's a bug in PNCconf?

net x-output     <= pid.x.output
net x-output     <= hm2_7i92.0.stepgen.00.velocity-cmd

Doesn't this mean that x-output has 2 writers?
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2024 06:45 by jdryg. Reason: Clarify motor configuration; fixed formatting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds