Can you get me started on using LinuxCNC on a non-traditional kinematic mechanis

More
23 Jul 2024 04:13 #305885 by dave.franchino@gmail.com
Hey kind folks, 

Total newby to LinuxCNC and I'm just hoping for a nudge in the right direction. I would like to use Linux CNC to drive novel kinematic mechanism that will eventually resolve two simple XY coordinates. I do know the mathematical equations that resolve a couple of rotational joints with interesting kinematics into the XY coordinate, but I have no idea how to use that math in a way that will eventually wrote back to g codes. I'm sure there are samples of people using non-linear, non-xy mechanisms, but I'm not sure where to start. Any good resources for how I might take a kinematic macadism that is not a traditional thing? Linear XY where I know the math and get that so that g-codes will drive. They make it to properly? Sorry if this question isn't even phrased properly.  Not sure where to begin. 

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
23 Jul 2024 21:24 #305926 by dave.franchino@gmail.com
@aciera,  thank you very much!  - do you have experience with non-trivial kinematics?  The example in the document you sent is actually pretty close to what I'm trying to do with a few exceptions. I note that the forward and inverse transformations transform joint lengths (AB, BD) to Cartesian coordinates.  if the joints were cables wrapped around a drum, would it still be appropriate to transform cable length the cartesian coordinates or would you actually resolve that back to stepper motor steps in order to define a cable length?

More
24 Jul 2024 05:28 #305944 by Aciera

if the joints were cables wrapped around a drum, would it still be appropriate to transform cable length the cartesian coordinates

Yes, as long as the cable gets wound up uniformly (ie the coil does not change diameter due to stacking of the cable on the drum).

or would you actually resolve that back to stepper motor steps in order to define a cable length?

This is done in the [JOINT_n] section of the ini file. The 'STEP_SCALE' value defines how many steps the motor needs to rotate to move the joint one machine unit (inch/mm).

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds