Help installing samba on Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO

More
28 Jul 2024 18:37 #306261 by Dave2024
Hey sorry im not all that good with Linux but was wondering is someone could help me figure out how to add the a repository to make it so I can install samba server onto the LinuxCNC Debian 12 build?  See ive done it in the past using other versions of Linux and even knew how to add repositories in other versions like Ubunto but now that im constantly switching versions of Linux ive kinda gave up on learning because the commands and file locations are always changing.  My end goal is to be able to have samba running on my cnc mills interface computer so that im able to simply transfer gcode files over wifi from my modeling and posting machine that runs windows.  Ive gotrten tired of having to constantly move files on a micro usb and have to walk from the shop back into the modeling room every time I go to run an operation.  Anyways how can I get the samba repository added so I can run the 'sudo apt install samba' command and not get the 
E: Package 'samba' has no installation candidate error?  Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2024 18:43 #306264 by rodw
It is there packages.debian.org/search?keywords=samb...bookworm§ion=all
Do you have internet connection?

Once you sort that out, be aware that Windows needs come policy changes to allow Samba
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave2024

More
28 Jul 2024 23:02 - 28 Jul 2024 23:05 #306292 by cornholio
I find it far easier to connect directly from the Debian file manager to a windows share, no need to setup a samba server. All is required is to have the gvfs packages installed.

Or use the file sharing that is part of a lot of wifi AP\Routers, use that as an intermediary drop off point.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2024 23:05 by cornholio.

More
29 Jul 2024 06:12 #306307 by Dave2024

It is there packages.debian.org/search?keywords=samb...bookworm§ion=all
Do you have internet connection?

Once you sort that out, be aware that Windows needs come policy changes to allow Samba

Ok well I think I found the repository list on LinuxCNC Debian 12 Bookworm.  Its located in /etc/apt/sources.list  or at least i think thats it?  When I look at min using nano it shows deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12 _Bookworm_ - Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20240307-23:28]/ bookworm contrib main non-free non-free-firmware

Am I suppose to add  packages.debian.org/search?keywords=samb...bookworm§ion=all to it?  

And yes have internet access.  Im actualy using SSH rite now working on it from my girlfriends place 15 miles away 

More
29 Jul 2024 08:11 #306313 by rodw
Nooo, that page says its part of Debian so nothing to do in the apt foders
Can you try
sudo apt update
sudo apt install samba

More
30 Jul 2024 01:26 #306373 by Dave2024

Nooo, that page says its part of Debian so nothing to do in the apt foders
Can you try
sudo apt update
sudo apt install samba

Yeah thats how I usually install it except when using the Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO found on the site here on the linuxcnc.org/downloads/ page it doesnt work and gives me the error: E: Package 'samba' has no installation candidate.

It installs just finew when using the ISO from the Debian site but when using the Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO from Linuxcnc.org its a no go :(

More
30 Jul 2024 08:32 #306386 by rodw
That sounds very odd, because we use the Debian 12 live installer so it is just Debian with some added elements for Linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds