Newbie with config questions

More
31 Jul 2024 01:31 #306455 by timgineer
Hello,

I've recently purchased a desktop little CNCTOPBAOS 1610 Pro Desktop CNC router . This thing is smaller than I had expected. But it was cheap enough to get my feet wet. So I went ahead and installed LinuxCNC on a Raspi and have it connected to the device. I found another post stating that this device has a GRBL driver already. So at this point, could I then just use my OctoPi raspi than runs my Ender3 to send gcode to the 1610? Should I bother going down the road of converting my CNC router to use LinuxCNC?

My main software that I intend on using for this is FreeCAD. I have done several drawings and models using FreeCAD, so I'm at least familiar with the software (Although, because of some bug with the newer versions, I'm stuck with v0.19). I guess the first thing to do is to setup a couple little tests just see the thing running. I figured some silly text on a wood block outta kick it off. Is it possible to send gcode to LinuxCNC and it just upload it to the device? Can I use LinuxCNC to calibrate the device?

Any other tips and tricks for a newbie? I talked to a friend that does this professionally over seas and he pointed out that I need some different end mills. So I snagged these , but it looks like I still need to add them to the path workbench for FreeCAD.

Thinking about it, starting with 3d printing, I was kind of spoiled because everything is basically ready. Just level the bed and you're off to the races. Ah well... To make nicer things, ya gotta get a little headier, I suppose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2024 02:20 #306456 by cornholio
First thing you need to realise is that Linuxcnc & GRBL are two very different implentations of cnc control.

Your grbl g-code sender just sends gcode to the grbl board and that interprets the gcode. There is no realtime communication between the 2.

Linuxcnc on the other hand does everything and works in realtime. So any inputs from a user or the machine are acted upon as they are seen. In a nut shell Linuxcnc does not send any gcode, it creates all the timing required to drive steppers, servos or whatever. Even when using the Mesa cards all the cards receive more or less are timing instructions.

Honestly I wouldn't waste any time converting your machine to Linuxcnc. Get used to using it and getting your head around the FreeCad Path workbench.

Whilst it is possible to convert, that money would be better spent on replacing broken endmills and the like.

I'm using the 20.2 version of Freecad and apart from the obvious issue, the topological naming issue, I can't say that there is any bugs that would cause me to revert. I've used it to design & machine the bits & bobs I've required to convert my Myford FrankenLathe to cnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds