Hardware needed to switch from mach 3 6 axis to linuxcnc 9 axis

More
02 Aug 2024 17:16 #306765 by RLA
Hi...new here..I have a home built cnc running mach 3.. 6 axis and need to quickly switch to linuxcnc to take advantage of the 9 axis that I will need for an upcoming project. done some reading to be confident it should not be a problem but i am not real clear on what i will need to order in terms of hardware...I currently go from typical BOB to Ethernet smooth stepper which seems like need to be replaced...currently steppers but may want closed loop also..Also pc requirements?

If anyone can list what would be required I would be so grateful as I do not have much time to research...

Thanks,
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2024 19:12 #306783 by spumco
Some additional info would be helpful.

What is the machine? What is the upcoming project and why do you need three additional axes?
What are the current 6 axes, and what are the three additional axes you want/need to add? (linear axes, rotary, ballscrew, belt, worm drive, etc.)
When you ask for hardware suggestions, do you mean control hardware, motion hardware, or both?
What exactly is the current control setup?  What do you plan to re-use?
Closed loop how? Closed loop steppers, or closed loop back to the control (LCNC)?  Why do you think you might want this?
What IO do you need? Voltage, sinking/sourcing, current requirements?
Is there a spindle?  How is it controlled?

Anything you can provide details on will help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLA

More
02 Aug 2024 20:53 #306807 by RLA
Hi...I guess it is not as simple as I thought...will be for auto lathe ..not sure of transmission types..may not need closed loop ..i have closed loop steppers now but from what I understand it is limited...
The main thing I am looking for is to be able to switch from mach3 with breakout board (6 Axis) through ethernet smoothstepper. to stepper drivers to stepper motors used in various ways.
. to a linuxcnc setup that can drive existing drivers and motors in any setup ...question is what board(s) would be required to make the swap ?...keeping in mind I would need 9 axis to run at same time?
Not sure about in/out but anything recommended should allow for some.
details of what may be needed are not at hand yet....just looking to start and be flexible in future to add as needed.
Thanks!!

Thanks for any help

More
02 Aug 2024 21:11 - 02 Aug 2024 21:12 #306808 by Aciera
Have a look at the mesa boards:
www.mesanet.com/index.html
store.mesanet.com/

It won't get more flexible and expandable then that.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2024 21:12 by Aciera.

More
02 Aug 2024 23:08 #306816 by rodw

Have a look at the mesa boards:
www.mesanet.com/index.html
store.mesanet.com/

It won't get more flexible and expandable then that.

Well, the OP could consider Ethercat which is flexible and expandable but adds some complexity, reduces wiring  and probably adds  more cost than mesa cards

More
03 Aug 2024 00:25 #306818 by spumco
There's always this:

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/5160...sa-card-should-i-buy

A Mesa 7i96S, plus a 7i85S, plus a 7i84 (or 7i84D) should cover just about everything you've described.

If you want a physical user control station with lots of buttons & handwheels, a 7i73 can be added.

What's got me interested is the 'auto' part of 'auto-lathe.'  Do you mean something with a parts loader or bar feeder?

I've got a 4-axis lathe with a subspindle and I still don't need 9 axes of positioning.

More
03 Aug 2024 00:33 #306820 by tommylight
Mesa 7i96S can do 10 axis just by adding a simple BOB (it can do without BOB, but wiring must be careful).
If you do not need much input/output pins, go for that one, later you can add whatever you might need, like 7i85S or 7i84 or even analog servo drives with 7i83.

More
03 Aug 2024 09:19 #306837 by Aciera

Well, the OP could consider Ethercat which is flexible and expandable but adds some complexity, reduces wiring and probably adds more cost than mesa cards

I'm not ignoring ethercat but since the OP wants a solution that doesn't involve a lot of research I opted to point him to the widest and most trodden route. Which is also the route with the most support along the way.
You EtherCAT guys are doing a great job at making things more accessible but it will be some time before I'll send a newcomer looking for an easy entry down that path.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, spumco

More
03 Aug 2024 11:55 #306841 by tommylight

You EtherCAT guys are doing a great job at making things more accessible but it will be some time before I'll send a newcomer looking for an easy entry down that path.

+1

More
03 Aug 2024 21:26 - 03 Aug 2024 21:32 #306883 by RLA
Spumco,

Hi...thanks for reply!...it will be wood lathe and I am wanting to do the equivalent of straighten,rough shape, then skew cut any geometry that may come...not easy by hand and involves much simultaneous movements as well as loading etc.
So I understand correctly...you list 3 boards with one having two options correct?

Thanks again,

Rick
Last edit: 03 Aug 2024 21:32 by RLA. Reason: forgot to address person I am responding to

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds