Hardware needed to switch from mach 3 6 axis to linuxcnc 9 axis

More
04 Aug 2024 02:05 #306892 by spumco
Rick,

You'll find that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing in LCNC, but what I suggested was a combination of boards that would easily drive 9 separate axis motors, plus an analog 0-10v output for typical spindle control, plus a fair amount of inputs & outputs, plus has 5 high-speed encoder inputs since you mentioned 'closed loop.'

The 7i84 vs 7i84D - boards have the same I/O quantity, but one is for sourcing outputs and the other (D) is for sinking outputs.

The above recommendation is just that - a suggestion of an easy way to get 9 axes.  It was not a cost or space optimized solution, and I strongly discourage you from buying anything at this point.  You need to be in research mode right now.

If you want more specific recommendations, pics of the lathe, plus a detailed description of what additional 'stuff' you want to add would help us help you.  Pics of the existing control electronics (stepper drives, spindle drive, power supplies, etc.) and anything else (control panel) would help.

Make a list of all the inputs, outputs, axes, spindle, whatever.  Identify the voltages, amps, what components you have and will need in the future.

As for loading... are you talking about stock or part blank loading?  Does this hardware currently exist, or are you planning to fabricate some sort of automation mechanism?

-S

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2024 11:16 #306987 by RLA

Mesa 7i96S can do 10 axis just by adding a simple BOB (it can do without BOB, but wiring must be careful).
If you do not need much input/output pins, go for that one, later you can add whatever you might need, like 7i85S or 7i84 or even analog servo drives with 7i83.

Hi..thanks for reply....I am not really clear about exactly I will need so this looks like a good start that sets up for anything in future..some of what is foggy at this time is the difference between mach 3 and lcnc...obviously 9 axis are available in lcnc and not mach 3 but also different board is needed to match up  right?...then is BOB an extension of 7i96s? as opposed to mach3 goes to BOB first ,then ESS?...Thanks!!,

Rick

More
05 Aug 2024 13:27 #306993 by tommylight
No more Mach3! :)
You have to stop thinking about mach3 and how it does things, this is a whole new world with LinuxCNC.
BOB is a break out board used for parallel port to machine interfacing, cheap at ~10-15$ and it offers a bit of protection for the GPIO on the controller.
Up to a certain point, the SmoothStepper is similar to Mesa 7i96S, in that they both take commands from the machine controller or in this case the PC and send steps to motor drives, but it ends there as how they do the same thing differs a lot, mainly Mesa has usually 1ms response time (can be even faster) while smoothie will take quite a while to actually stop when commanded to stop due to buffering and ....
To put it simply, you can control happily an 16 ton machine with LinuxCNC for years on end 24/7/365, you can not do that with mach3...well you can but it ends up in tears and smoke and loss of will to live! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLA

More
09 Aug 2024 15:22 #307366 by RLA
Hi...just so I understand...I get 7i96s...goes from pc to BOB which already has motors wired through drivers..those existing motors can be controlled through linuxcnc? and 5 more could be added from 7i96s board..is that right/

Thanks!!,
Rick

More
11 Aug 2024 05:32 #307464 by spumco
PC to 7i96s
7i96s to BOB through the 7i96s expansion port
7i96s to 5x additional motors through the 7i96s onboard step/dir output terminals

The following user(s) said Thank You: RLA

More
11 Aug 2024 17:50 #307486 by RLA
Thanks...I am really looking forward to using this...board should arrive this week...have one issue in the meantime...same pc I had xp on for running mach3...installes linuxcnc with debian 12 from website...something makes it restart and I have to re login..hp compaq with 4.96 mb ram 1.8 ghz...250 plus gb disc space...I do not think it happened when I ran as live boot a few times before installing to disc...

Thanks again!!

More
12 Aug 2024 08:21 #307520 by rodw
Auto login is covered in my Debian 12 document at point 19  here
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds