Pacer Cadet

More
12 Sep 2024 00:15 #309954 by Mattmk
Pacer Cadet was created by Mattmk
Hello,

Charity where I volunteer has been given a Pacer Cadet CNC. It's probably around 20-25 years old, but in a good condition and very sturdy.

We are unsure if it works, and it has been driven by some proprietary software from a Windows XP computer through USB to Serial to Parallel adapters.

We are wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine and any suggestions about the best way to convert it. The charity is an actual charity and not a tax efficient way for someone to get rich and it's not gonna be a money maker, so the budget is tight.

Spindle controller: Hitachi L200
Spindle: Perske 1.2kW / 23k rpm
Steppers? HY200
Motion board: Axiomatic C902
Controller board Axiomatic Cadet VMC Board (looks like an ISA board; PC connected to serial off the board; the parallel connected to motion board)

We were wondering if we could get away with sending command to the controller board from LinuxCNC or we should consider replacing controller & motion boards. Any advice and input welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2024 00:54 #309958 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Pacer Cadet
Cheapest way:
-an older PC with parallel port
-a BOB with spindle control
-3 of cheap TB6600 drives
total under 100$
-
Medium way
-a decent PC
-Mesa 7i96S
-3 of whatever drives they can afford, i would still use the TB6600
total under 300$
-
Best way
-a decent PC
-Mesa 7i96S
-LAM Technologies drives
-Bigger power supply
total from 500$ and up
-
The old drives can probably be reused, but might not be worth the time.
The old control most probably will not work with LinuxCNC or any modern control, either way serial is really, really slow.
Check the flat cable connector that goes to the drive board, how many pins does it have? I tried to count from the picture but ended up with over 30, so probably my eyes are fuzzy... :)

More
12 Sep 2024 10:04 #309981 by Mattmk
Replied by Mattmk on topic Pacer Cadet
Thank you for a very quick reply!

I will take some more photos and check that cable going to the drive board next time I'm around.

Based on your suggestion, I feel like it's worth to do the budget way to show that all bits are working!

Regarding drivers, I think the steppers might be able to take ~80V but I can't find the datasheet (will give it another go some time) but since it's not going to run in an industrial setting, the highest possible speed is not really required, so TB6600 might be enough

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds