Time to revisit coolant mapping of M-codes in Linuxcnc

More
13 Oct 2024 23:27 #312012 by smc.collins
I haven't looked but I am fairly sure the the software supports mcode with decimal places ? M7.0 or m7.1  etc and so on. 

the current coolant/cutting fluid controls are way to limited and require to much special handling. It would make sense to update the current scheme with mcode that could be numbers 

M7.1 air blast
M7.2 mist
M7.3 flood
M7.4 through tool 

etc and so forth. I can modify the existing post processor but where exactly would this change have to be made in the core of the linuxcnc software base ? Also the existing mcodes for coolant can be left standing. I am just trying to avoid creating custom mcodes for controlling the various cooling systems I am adding to my machines, but many NEWER cnc machines also have many varying types of coolant schemes. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2024 05:14 #312030 by spumco
Minor suggestion - leave the mist as M7, and flood as M8 and save the 'derivative' M-codes as M7.n or M8.n

M8 - main flood
M8.1 - supplemental
M8.2 - TSC
M8.3 - washdown

M7 - main mist
M7.1 - supplemental

Etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
14 Oct 2024 06:46 #312034 by Aciera

haven't looked but I am fairly sure the the software supports mcode with decimal places ? M7.0 or m7.1 etc and so on.

As far as I'm aware Mcode numbers must be integers (Gcodes can have decimals)
You could create a single custom mcode with a P word though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
15 Oct 2024 17:16 - 15 Oct 2024 17:21 #312182 by smc.collins
Ok, so configure coolant m codes as follows

M7 p1 mist
M7 p2 derivative 

M8 p1 flood
M8 p2 through tool
M8 P3  high pressure through tool

M9  p01 mist off
M9 p100 all off 

As kind of a loose structure?

Thanks for the reply. If anyone knows where in the code base to look for this stuff it'd be nice to save me the time of having to dig through tons of folders and files

Thanks
Last edit: 15 Oct 2024 17:21 by smc.collins.

More
15 Oct 2024 17:48 #312183 by Aciera
I was actually picturing a remapped (ie currently unused Mcode). This would be a rather simple gcode remap where you could then use 'motion.digital-out' pins for the appropriate coolant flow.

Actually adding this to the source code will likely involve
a) a number of files in '/src/emc/rs274ngc'
b) pose the additional challenge of there not being a suitable NML command for all the different coolant variants you have in mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
15 Oct 2024 21:21 #312202 by spumco

I was actually picturing a remapped (ie currently unused Mcode). This would be a rather simple gcode remap where you could then use 'motion.digital-out' pins for the appropriate coolant flow.

b) pose the additional challenge of there not being a suitable NML command for all the different coolant variants you have in mind.

This is what I did for my non-standard cooling stuff.  Just cooked up some Mnn.ngc files to take care of stuff like spindle taper air blast, washdown, and multi-mist nozzles on my gang lathe.

More
15 Oct 2024 21:58 #312203 by smc.collins

This is what I did for my non-standard cooling stuff.  Just cooked up some Mnn.ngc files to take care of stuff like spindle taper air blast, washdown, and multi-mist nozzles on my gang lathe.

are you at liberty to share those mappings ? 

More
15 Oct 2024 21:59 #312204 by smc.collins

The issue at hand, the lack of NML commands is a problem that requires a lot of extra effort for every retrofit that could be solve once and be done with. 

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds