Mach3 user thinking about switching over....

More
17 Feb 2011 19:03 #7291 by PetefromTn
No you really cannot see the spindle shaft due to the body of the spindle, yeah you can see the spindle in the area of the drift if you get a stuck collet but that is about it and it is not really wide. I am trying to figure out a way to get spindle input into the breakout board without using a bunch of important pins, I may have to break down and buy another paralell port card and a relay board from Arturo. This will give me a bunch of useful inputs and outputs....

I have seen that video and it is really intriguing to me as I am working on something similar.

Yeah A rack mounted toolchanger would be simpler and easier and Hossmachine on mach 3 did it in two different configurations so it is very possible. I am not terribly sure how but he certainly did it and made a video or two describing how he did it. Gotta watch them and learn.... Peace

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2011 22:16 #7294 by andypugh
PetefromTn wrote:

I may have to break down and buy another paralell port card and a relay board from Arturo. This will give me a bunch of useful inputs and outputs....

I am of the opinion that a 7i43 makes more sense than a second parallel port. A quick google suggests that there might well be support for the 7i43 (and 5i20 family) in Mach3

I have seen that video and it is really intriguing to me as I am working on something similar.

I have already done one, so might be able to help. www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lat...ller_conversion.html

Yeah A rack mounted toolchanger would be simpler and easier and Hossmachine on mach 3 did it in two different configurations so it is very possible.

Posted today to the EMC2 developers list: thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/4102
EMC2 has long has good support for toolchange strategies which don't need axis movement, this allows axis movement using G-code too.

More
17 Feb 2011 23:00 #7296 by PetefromTn
Andy,
That is really cool that they are actively updating and adding functionality for EMC2 on a real time basis like that. As far as the toolchanger power drawbar your design is excellent and works a treat apparently but it is also not gonna work on an R8 spindle. There are a lot of fellows that would LOVE to be able to configure R8 tooling into a workable power drawbar with pullstud retention like that but most just go down the road to an impact driven drawbar. I am using the Tormach TTS system and while it is lighter duty perhaps what it gives up in that arena it more than makes up for it cost per toolholder and repetitive Z axis height as well as having a short holder for ease of toolchanges.

I am still on the fence here about wether to just go with a tension compression tap holder and run with Mach3 since I already have it or go for the gusto and dump everything for EMC2. I do not have ANY doubts that EMC2 will do a lot more than Mach3 can but I gotta think on this one. I wish the rigid tapping setup was not so complicated but I guess to maintain precise control you need to be...

I see from your avatar that you are of the leather suited plastic puck wearing knee draggin' maniacs like myself.... Bravo dude you are my new hero.. peace

Pete

More
18 Feb 2011 08:28 #7303 by andypugh
PetefromTn wrote:

As far as the toolchanger power drawbar your design is excellent and works a treat apparently but it is also not gonna work on an R8 spindle. There are a lot of fellows that would LOVE to be able to configure R8 tooling into a workable power drawbar with pullstud retention like that but most just go down the road to an impact driven drawbar.

Looking at the dimensions, the base taper of R8 and BT30 are the same. You could probably sleeve-down an R8 spindle to take BT30, with the spring-stack on top, all retained by a hollow threaded tube from the top. The advantage of this would be that R8 is really rather too long, requiring excessive knee-lowering for toolchanges.
However, the TTS system solves the same problem very neatly. If you look at samcoinc's Kearney and Trecker retrofit (that belt driven encoder video is one, look at his toolchange videos) you will see that the toolchange on that is almost the same as the TTS, if a little bigger.

I am using the Tormach TTS system and while it is lighter duty perhaps what it gives up in that arena it more than makes up for it cost per toolholder and repetitive Z axis height as well as having a short holder for ease of toolchanges.

TTS also looks to be rather easy to convert to pneumatics. Depending on the spindle bore you ought to be able to use a system much like my pull-stud system, but with the TTS collet simply screwed on to the end rather than using a gripper system. I think the pneumatic release that Tormach build uses an external spring-stack, but inside the spindle bore seems neater to me.

I am still on the fence here about wether to just go with a tension compression tap holder and run with Mach3 since I already have it or go for the gusto and dump everything for EMC2.

That is a decision only you can make. We are a rather partisan crowd here.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds