MESA 5i20 / 7i48 / 7i42TA firmware problem

More
20 Dec 2014 18:12 #54174 by GambleJoe
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting my configuration to work. I have a 5i20 connected to a 7i48-daughtercard (which drives a servo and two encoders) and to a 7i42TA (which drives a small stepper).

I already succeeded in getting the servo running by using the SV12IM_2x7i48 firmware. Also, the stepper works fine if I use the SVST8_4IM2 firmware. But I couldn't find a firmware which works for both cards (respectively both motors).

I think there is a firmware which could work, it's the SVST6_6_7i48, which can be found in the "support software" package for 5i20, downloadable at the MESA homepage. My problem is that this package contains only the .bit and the .pin file for that firmware, but not the .xml file for setting up my configuration in PNCconf.

So, my questions are:

1. Is my assumption correct, will the SVST6_6_7i48 work with my configuration?
2. Where can I get the .xml file for this firmware?

Thanks in advance for your help,

GambleJoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2014 03:54 #54178 by PCW
One possibility is to start with the working SV12IM_2x7i48 servo config and then
add the stepgen hal/ini boilerplate from the SVST8_4IM2 hal/ini files
The following user(s) said Thank You: GambleJoe

More
21 Dec 2014 22:42 #54185 by GambleJoe
Ok thanx for your fast reply, but can you explain me what i have to do in detail? I'm quite a noob in the whole linuxcnc topic, so I have no clue what a boilerplate is...

More
22 Dec 2014 00:25 #54188 by PCW
"boilerplate" in this context means standard text

Hal files may look very different but most are really very similar, with only
signal, pin ,and parameter names being different

So for example you could take all the stepgen related text from your stepgen configuration
and merge it onto your working servo configuration to get a combined servo and step/dir set
of configuration files

More
22 Dec 2014 05:09 #54196 by cmorley
If the svst6_6_7i48 firmware will work here is a XML to try:

It must be placed in the /lib/firmware/hm2/5i20 folder.
You must be sudo to do this ( type 'sudo nautilus' or 'sudo thunar' in a terminal to get a privileged file manager)

Then try pncconf.

Chris M
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GambleJoe

More
05 Jan 2015 19:52 #54568 by GambleJoe
Hi guys,

thank you for the .xml-file, i tried to get a configuration running with it, but nothing works, not even an open loop test. So my next attempt was to merge the hal/ini boilerplate from the working SVST8_4IM2 stepper configuration into my SV12IM_2x7i48 servo config, as PCW suggested.
So I simply copied the information for my stepper axis from the Stepper ini into the Servo ini and from the Stepper hal to the Servo hal. But it's not as simple as that, because I get an Error message when I try running LinuxCNC (see Attachment).

Can you tell me what I have to copy exactly to merge my stepper configuration into my servo config? I added the original hal and ini files in the attachments, the X Axis should be my Servo axis, the Z axis my Stepper. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Greetings
Attachments:

More
05 Jan 2015 19:54 - 06 Jan 2015 16:58 #54569 by GambleJoe
forgot to add the error message
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jan 2015 16:58 by GambleJoe.

More
05 Jan 2015 23:41 #54586 by PCW
You should be able to post the error message here if you append a .txt to the file name

( the forum is picky about file name extensions )

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds