Advice on Mesa cards for 6 axis servo motors

More
29 Sep 2017 15:26 #99622 by Marcodi
Alright , I can follow this.

The shop send me indeed he made a mistake. You were correct.

So it would be now 6i25, 2x 7i85s and 1 X 7i66

Can you get more of the advantages out of the drives with analogue? Or is analogue or step/dir choice not changing that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2017 16:46 #99631 by Todd Zuercher
As to which is better digital vs analog, it all depeds...
Just like with audio equipment, It mostly comes down the quality of the hardware and how it's set up.
I have no idea if the digital or analog portions of those drives whether one is better than the other. And I doubt anyone else knows either. (Maybe not even the manufacurer.)
So it all comes down to personal preference, and what you feel most comfortable setting up.

A 6i24, one 7i52s and a 7i37TA would be little cheaper and offer a few more expansion options.

More
30 Sep 2017 10:57 - 30 Sep 2017 11:13 #99669 by Marcodi
Hi again.

I got the new proposal from monstercnc.

It would be the 6i25 and 2x 7i85s to drive the 6 el5-d1000 drivers. I believe he mentioned I should be able to follow the pncconf wizard to set it up. And that the new firmware loaded is recognized by linuxcnc.

What you guys think. Is this a smart choice for a newbie like me.

(Todd, thanks again, you caught the error of the 7i76 only having one encoder!, I can still change my order.)

What is super important is the ease of the setup being completely new to linuxcnc.
@todd , if you believe your setup 6i24, 7i52s and the 7i37ta is easier to setup in pncconf, I would take that. So frustrating to have to buy things without having any knowledge ;-)

Secondly . Would both analogue and step/dir be able to close the loop inside linuxcnc and not in the drive, so I get all my encoder feedback on linuxcnc and correct dro's?
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 11:13 by Marcodi.

More
30 Sep 2017 11:54 #99670 by Todd Zuercher
I have used a 5i25/7i85s combination,but it was some years ago and PNCconf did not support the 7i85s back then. I am not certain if the 6i25 is directly supported either.(I think you have to set up the config for a 5i25 then edit the hal files to suit (a simple find and replace command).

Not sure I understand your 2nd question.

The position loop can be closed in Linuxcnc with encoder feedback when using either analog or step/dir commands. But which one you can actually use will depend on the interface hardware you choose.

More
30 Sep 2017 12:02 #99671 by Marcodi
Hi Todd, it looks like you know everything. You don't have time to spend a few days in Bruges and give me some classes? Or maybe where you live :-):-)

I kind of read the same that 6i25 is same as 5i25 with a small change. How I do that I will ask once I have the hardware.

I would take the hardware they can deliver quickly from monstercnc, and that would be the 6i25 and 2x 7i85s. Seems to me more logic to use the same cards, I guess it would be easier than different cards. It seems like I would have sufficient input /outputs left to connect probes and limits-homes and e stop after connecting the 6 encoders and 6 step/dirs.

More
30 Sep 2017 12:19 #99675 by rodw
The difference between 6i25 and 5i25 is that one is a PCI card and the other is for the PCIe BUS interface.

More
30 Sep 2017 16:02 #99685 by Todd Zuercher

Hi Todd, it looks like you know everything. You don't have time to spend a few days in Bruges and give me some classes? Or maybe where you live :-):-)

I kind of read the same that 6i25 is same as 5i25 with a small change. How I do that I will ask once I have the hardware.

I would take the hardware they can deliver quickly from monstercnc, and that would be the 6i25 and 2x 7i85s. Seems to me more logic to use the same cards, I guess it would be easier than different cards. It seems like I would have sufficient input /outputs left to connect probes and limits-homes and e stop after connecting the 6 encoders and 6 step/dirs.

I'm far from knowing everything, but with the help of Google, I do ok. My family would love a vacation to Europe, but traveling from Ohio, USA is just not practical for us right now. :) :)

More
03 Oct 2017 21:54 #99865 by andypugh

I am not certain if the 6i25 is directly supported either.(I think you have to set up the config for a 5i25 then edit the hal files to suit (a simple find and replace command).

Not even that. The 6i25 uses 5i25 firmware and pretends to be a 5i25 in HAL.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds