5i25+7i76 wired pendant help please

More
18 Jun 2018 08:42 #112527 by Toolman321
I’m not sure if it’s possible but Can I use some of the pins on my 5abob as regular gpio pins where I could connect simple encoders to for feed and speed overrides. Can I use these with software encoders please?
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2018 12:51 #112539 by andypugh
Yes, that can be done. Even the 1mS servo thread works OK for handwheels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toolman321

More
18 Jun 2018 14:58 #112543 by Toolman321
Thankyou, I’m not gona pretend I know what that means but it’s good news I think.
I’m really starting to feel that my Linux incompetence is getting in the way of my design and build. I’ve spent all last weekend trying to get the touchscreen calibration to work after changing the motherboard and hard disk. I got it working with xinput calibrator but I’m unable to ‘make the changes permanent’ I just keep getting error after error and it’s all down to the fact that I’ve no clue what I’m doing

Regards

More
18 Jun 2018 17:51 - 18 Jun 2018 17:51 #112556 by andypugh

I’m really starting to feel that my Linux incompetence is getting in the way
I got it working with xinput calibrator but I’m unable to ‘make the changes permanent’

FWIW I have never managed that either, and have always given up on it and hand-edited an xorg.conf file.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 17:51 by andypugh.

More
21 Jun 2018 09:04 #112707 by Toolman321

freeby.mesanet.com/7i765a.zip

Contains firmware for a 5i25 with a 7I76 on P3 and a "Ebay special"
5 axis bob on P2 ( 5i25_7i76_5abob.bit )

The source file that defines the pinout is also included in the zip

I had the chance to mess with this last night and I managed to flash the firmware with the bit file but I don’t know what to do with the vhd file that’s included? Can you help me understand what it’s for please?
Many thanks

More
26 Jun 2018 13:55 #112888 by andypugh
The VHD file is used by the compiler to create the bit file.
But it is also human-readable and can be used to work out what function is on what pin.
You don't need to do anything with it except possibly read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toolman321

More
26 Jun 2018 14:49 #112891 by Toolman321
Got it, many thanks.
I’ve changed over the breakout boards so I’m now going to use the 5abob for the machine stepper outputs, home switch inputs and spindle control.
I’ve reserved the 7i76 for the pendant Interface, should allow me to add more buttons later

More
01 Jul 2018 22:32 - 01 Jul 2018 22:33 #113195 by Toolman321
Today I changed all the wiring for my machine set up, I now have the 5abob on port p2 to drive the machine steppers, home switches estop home switches and spindle, and I have the 7i76 on port p3 of the 5i25 fpga card to Interface my override mpgs, start stop buttons and multi handwheel. I’ve put the custom hals in the custom Hal folders, but I’m at a point now I need to configure the Hal for my setup. Not sure at this point wether I should create a new setup or modify the original one as I’m not confident with it right now. Is it possible I will need to Change my firmware to suit my setup now or should I use the one kindly supplied in earlier in this thread?
I’m not certain how the firmware affects the pin designation?
Many thanks and sorry if I’m just not understanding it fully
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 22:33 by Toolman321.

More
01 Jul 2018 22:40 #113196 by andypugh
Moving the 7i76 to a different header will (I think) change the names of the GPIO pins on the 7i76.

Open a terminal (with LinuxCNC running) and type "halcmd show pin" to get a list of all the HAL pins that you can use.

I would say that at this point it is time to write the HAL the way you want it, rather than try to second-guess what it takes to get the right results from the setup wizard.

Your opinion of my advice should be tempered by the knowledge that I don't tend to use the setup wizards to do much more than set up the folder structures and files for a new config.

More
01 Nov 2018 18:35 #119777 by Toolman321
Ok thanks for the info, having left it for 6 months or so I’ve forgotten almost everything I had previously learned. It may be time now to pull out the Mesa boards and try a different system. I’ll give it one more look and if I can get it working then great but if not it will go the journey
Many thanks

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds