Problem with MESA 7i76e and DQ542MA drivers

More
31 Jul 2018 00:07 #115191 by jmonteiro
So, I'm in the last steps of moving my CNC from Arduino to LinuxCNC and I'm having trouble setting up my stepper motors.

I'm using a MESA 7i76e card with LinuxCNC 2.7.14 (the latest) but my stepper motor fails after moving, they move and when they stop they make a strange noise and a few seconds after moving LinuxCNC gives me an error for the stepper.

Here is the link to the strange sound , it moves fine and then get stuck on that noise until the error, which comes in a few seconds The motor does not move during that noise.

Please let me know if you have any ideas how to solve this problem. Also, let me know if you want my ini and hal files, I can provide them too.

Thanks,
Jorge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2018 01:56 #115194 by PCW
Can you post your hal and ini files?

How are the drives wired to the 7I76E (which pins are you using?)

More
31 Jul 2018 02:46 #115195 by jmonteiro
Here is the hal and the ini

The connections are according to this document forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...hluss_2016-12-03.pdf, page 10, "Connection of Steppers". Anyway, the motors seems to be moving fine, except the problem when they stop :(

One thing different with the connections, is that I had to remove was the ground, so, I'm using a single ground ("GND") to the DQ542MA stepper, and both STEP- and DIR- are not hooked up. When I tried to hook them up the driver did not start, got no green light, which means there is a problem with the wiring :(

More
31 Jul 2018 03:02 #115198 by PCW
So you are saying that the drives - inputs are connected to TB2 ground and the drives + inputs are connected to STEP+ and DIR+ on the 7I76E?

For any more diagnosis you will have to post your HAL and INI files here
Its difficult to guess what's going on without more information...

More
31 Jul 2018 03:19 #115199 by jmonteiro
Sorry, I just checked and I was wrong, here is the connection I have:

From TB2 to DQ542MA Stepper:

GND is disconnected (according the the DQ542MA manual, that is how it should be)
+5V is connected to the PUL+, DIR+ and ENBL+
DIR- is connected to the DIR-
STEP- is connected to the PUL-

I'm starting top think the wiring might be the problem, I just don't understand why the motor moves at all :(

Also, I did post my INI and HAL on my previous post, posting again just to make sure you get them.

INI -> cloud.jomosoft.com/index.php/s/PSGtP5LaaWBa7Ae
HAL -> cloud.jomosoft.com/index.php/s/zMJTz7X9Hw2EKCa

More
31 Jul 2018 12:42 #115222 by andypugh
It may be that you are trying to run the motors too fast.
Try halving the speed and accel to see if that helps (purely as an experiment)

What is your step-length setting?

More
31 Jul 2018 13:21 #115227 by bevins
I have a few suggestions. I am running those exact drives with this machine I am working on. Had some strange issues with the steppers and steps. I wired my drives step +- Dir - and only supplied 5v for enable from a relay netted to machine-is-on so the drive only gets enabled when turn the machine on. This fixed my issues with the weird vibration sounds. I am using the same settings as yours for step timing.

Why is your max velocity set to 25 on your axis section, also I would adjust stepgen maxvel and stepgen maxaccel.

You sure your scales are ok? That would indicate your stepper is directly connected to drive axis with no microstepping.

Just my 2 cents.

More
31 Jul 2018 13:30 - 31 Jul 2018 15:32 #115229 by PCW
In your INI file you have P = 10000.0

This should be 1000 (and pncconf should have set it to 1000)

Also in you hal file, you have pid.N.maxerror .0005

These lines (for all axis = N) should be deleted
Last edit: 31 Jul 2018 15:32 by PCW.

More
31 Jul 2018 15:23 - 31 Jul 2018 15:23 #115237 by jmonteiro
I will try that, thanks :)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2018 15:23 by jmonteiro.

More
31 Jul 2018 15:23 #115238 by jmonteiro

I have a few suggestions. I am running those exact drives with this machine I am working on. Had some strange issues with the steppers and steps. I wired my drives step +- Dir - and only supplied 5v for enable from a relay netted to machine-is-on so the drive only gets enabled when turn the machine on. This fixed my issues with the weird vibration sounds. I am using the same settings as yours for step timing.

Why is your max velocity set to 25 on your axis section, also I would adjust stepgen maxvel and stepgen maxaccel.

You sure your scales are ok? That would indicate your stepper is directly connected to drive axis with no microstepping.

Just my 2 cents.

So, you wired it like this:

+5V -> ENBL+
DIR+ -> DIR+
DIR- -> DIR-
STEP+ -> PUL+
STEP- -> PUL-

And it worked? For me the driver never turn the light green. I will try again since I tried that setup before starting to mess with LinuxCNC.

Also, what is the max velocity you have on your setup? If you can post your HAL and INI it would be awesome :)

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds