Starting from scratch (again) - need help (apparently a lot)

More
07 Dec 2019 14:41 #152252 by mooser
hooked a gecko back up with the common hooked to 5v from the 7i76 and moved the step/dir to negatives and it's making noise !!! (that high pitched stepper whine)
can move slowly in the Z-axis jog +/-
The default settings it pulled from a 201 don't seem to be very close so I'll have to try adjusting them to get it to spin up

Quick Question for anyone maybe

Where does linuxcnc get the max velocity speed from? In the pncconf I bumped it up to a much higher number that helped the stepper speed up and smooth out number but it doesn't seem to change what linuxcnc is using as the max

Anyway, more research but progress from yesterday so moving in the right dir
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2019 14:44 #152253 by Leon82

hooked a gecko back up with the common hooked to 5v from the 7i76 and moved the step/dir to negatives and it's making noise !!! (that high pitched stepper whine)
can move slowly in the Z-axis jog +/-
The default settings it pulled from a 201 don't seem to be very close so I'll have to try adjusting them to get it to spin up

Quick Question for anyone maybe

Where does linuxcnc get the max velocity speed from? In the pncconf I bumped it up to a much higher number that helped the stepper speed up and smooth out number but it doesn't seem to change what linuxcnc is using as the max

Anyway, more research but progress from yesterday so moving in the right dir
M

There are 2 in the ini file and another under the display options. Also stepgen Max accell.

In pnconf there is a button to test the axis. I think you can jog as fast as it is capable of making steps here

More
07 Dec 2019 20:38 #152287 by tommylight
Set the step time and space to 15000, test to check if everything is OK, later you can try to lower them.

More
07 Dec 2019 22:02 #152298 by mooser

Set the step time and space to 15000, test to check if everything is OK, later you can try to lower them.

Seems to max out at 10000, anything I enter higher gets changed back to 10000

The default 201 settings appear to work, the test motor is just turning really slow within linuxcnc, I can get it to spin up in the test/tune within pncconf but not once in linuxcnc

Probably a setting in the scale bit. I'm going to copy out the existing settings in Mach3 on the machine and pull the actual numbers (ration pulley etc) just to see
M

More
07 Dec 2019 22:07 #152299 by Leon82
There is max velocity in the joint and axis section of the ini file.

Also where it calls out your display it has a jog velocity and override velocity

More
07 Dec 2019 23:16 #152301 by mooser
I found the sections in the ini but need to read more, in the test/tune I can put a vel of 1000 and the motor is happy but that can't be in inch/minute...

On the actual machine I've got mach3 set to 50 ipm on the z. I've got a leadscrew with I think around 5mm pitch and a 1:1.5 or so pulley ratio on the Z-axis so even though this isn't the right motor or anything I'm thinking
5.081 turns per inch x 50 ipm should be 254 turns per minute.
200 steps per turn (@1.8 IIRC)

But anyway, something I changed has caused a huge error and it wont load now (I added a spindle step/dir but even though I removed it the error remains)
"Pin axis.9.motor-pos-cmd does not exist" looks like something I have to remove manually from a quick search

One step (LOL) forward, one back
M

More
07 Dec 2019 23:33 #152304 by tommylight

"Pin axis.9.motor-pos-cmd does not exist" looks like something I have to remove manually from a quick search

That means you are trying to start a 10 axis config! Do you have a 10 axis machine ?
Check where that line belongs and check the other lines containing motor or joint and see what number they have, put that number instead of 9. it should be 0 or 1 or 2 for a 3 axis machine.

More
08 Dec 2019 00:08 #152307 by mooser
Nope, Lathe
I had 2 step/dir setup for x and z (the ones I've been playing with) and I decided to add another for the VFD (might switch over to 0-10v but for now this is what the machine was wired for AFAIK)
Anyway, pncconf said it added another, I set #2 for spindle on the control (0=x, 1=z) and it added this pin 9 bit somehow. Looks like it just glitched but I have to remove it manually as it doesn't go away when I remove the spindle in pncconf
M

More
04 Jan 2020 17:41 #154001 by mooser
Update

OK so I've committed (or should be) now. Old control system totally removed and the parts are being transferred over to the new cabinet board

Back to the Stepper Tuning using the REAL parts (except the main drive power)

I've wired the G203v into the 7i76 and connected one of the axis stepper motors.
In the config I selected the g203v settings
Step Size - 1000
Step Space - 2000
Dir hold 200
Dir setup 200

Velocity is set to 60 ipm
Accel is set to 30 ipm
These were the settings from mach3

Over in the scale settings
I'm running a 20:25 pulley ratio
Microstep 10 (from gecko docs)
leadscrew is metric 5mm/rev
motor steps =200 (1.8 deg per step)

(Calculated scale is 12699.9996 steps per unit)

The motor barely turns and just make jittery little steps, increasing the step size makes it better after about 1100

I need to run the Step sizeup to 1240 and then the motor smooths right out
I can reduce the step space down to 500 with no effect as far as I can tell

Does this seem normal to have to change this value?
Will the motor control supply voltage affect this?

Thanks again
M

More
04 Jan 2020 17:46 - 04 Jan 2020 17:47 #154002 by Leon82
I would try with the 201 settings also just to see what it does. Those settings were a few thousand points higher than the 203 it would appear.

as far as I know those drives are very similar except the 203V is apparently explosion proof to miss wiring
Last edit: 04 Jan 2020 17:47 by Leon82.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds