Setup a M545D driver with a stepper motor

More
20 May 2021 19:15 #209677 by Goulven
Hello,
I am trying to setup a driver (M545D) with a stepper motor (23-205-DS8) and I am unable to get the motor to work. When I run the pncconf calibration test, the motor stuck (I think it's Ok). But when I try to move him forward, I only hear some sounds... When I compare the signals A1 ~ A2 and B1 ~ B2 with an oscilloscope, they are not symmetrical. Is it normal? I tried a lot of settings, but without any success...

Here is what I have when the motor is stuck:

And what I have when I tried to move it:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2021 19:28 #209678 by tommylight
Miss wired motor.
Stepper motor, how many wires ?

More
20 May 2021 19:39 #209683 by Goulven
It is an 8 wire motor, I tried these two combinations (Bipolar Serial / parallel)
Attachments:

More
21 May 2021 18:41 #209776 by andypugh
I have had 8-wire motors where the wire colours in the data sheet were completely different to the motor. (Well, the colours were the same, but they were connected differently)

1) Work out which wires are the ends of each winding. You can do this with a multimeter, or, choose one wire and see which wire, when held touching it, makes the motor harder to turn. When you find a pair, make a note, and tty to find another pair. Make sure that no wires touch other wires, though.

2) Once you have the pairs you need to work out which ones are A and which ones are B. I have forgotten how to do that..

3) However, I do remember how to work out the polarities. Take both of your A pairs, and connect two of the wires together, Then connect the other two. If the motor is stiff to turn then either of the current connections can be a centre-point. If the motor remains easy to turn, swap one pair end-to-end, and then try again.
Basically with the correct polarity they add, and the motor feels stiff. With the wrong pairings they cancel, and it is as if there is nothing connected.

More
23 May 2021 05:00 #209878 by Goulven
Thanks Andypugh, I had already checked both wires with an ohmmeter.

To check if a pair is A or B and to check the polarity I used a 9 volt battery: if two pairs are A with the same polarity I can't run the motor otherwise I can.

I also tried to order the pairs differently without success, so I ordered a 4 wire motor to test the driver outputs.

More
24 May 2021 11:52 #210050 by andypugh

To check if a pair is A or B and to check the polarity I used a 9 volt battery: if two pairs are A with the same polarity I can't run the motor otherwise I can.

I think that you will get the same result if you have one half of A and one half of B (with any polarity?) That's one of the half-step positions.

I think that you can probably tell if you have both halves of a phase by checking that there is no half-step if you power the second pair of wires with the first pair already powered.

More
29 May 2021 09:53 #210610 by Goulven
So I tried with another driver (DM556) and another motor (4 wires 23HS30-2804S) with the same result. The problem is elsewhere ...
This is how I connect the driver to the mesa 7i76 board:

Is this correct?

My ini and hal files as attachments
Attachments:

More
29 May 2021 10:01 #210611 by BeagleBrainz
Is that diagram labelled correctly ?
Your diagram has the enable connections connected and the pulse connections disconnected. Usually its the other way around.

This thread maybe of help.
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3191...-sheet?start=0#83565

More
29 May 2021 11:16 - 29 May 2021 11:37 #210615 by Goulven
Thanks BeagleBrainz. after reading this thread it's working with DM556:
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4013...t-it-to-move-stepper

Here is how i wired the driver (Don't working with M545D):
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2021 11:37 by Goulven. Reason: Wrong driver

More
29 May 2021 12:54 #210620 by Goulven
it's also working for M545D with Hobbycnc 8 Wires Motors (23-205-DS8) with the same conection...ThX Andypugh and BeagleBrainz
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds