Re:pncconf - feature requests

More
02 Apr 2011 02:18 #8379 by cmorley
ya we prob should... I have most of a config built. I don't use mm often ans so a few bugs showed up..working through them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2011 17:37 #9681 by fabworx
how about a actuall map out of the physical pins on which daughter board to be connected. as in ok my spindle pmw that i configured in the mesa tabs will be say pin 1, and 2 on the 7i48 p2 connector. does that make sence

More
09 May 2011 18:13 #9682 by BigJohnT
Can't be done very easy as every configuration used creates different pins for GPIO depends on how many of each component is used.

John

More
30 Sep 2011 15:24 #13559 by ZincBoy
I would like to request support for the 5i25 card (17 IO per port). I am willing to assist with debug and am somewhat familiar with Python.

Thanks.

More
30 Sep 2011 15:44 #13561 by andypugh
5i25 is likely to be a bit of a special case, as the pin behaviour is different depending on the installed firmware (which is not PC-side downloadable like it is on the other cards)

More
30 Sep 2011 17:01 #13564 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:pncconf - feature requests
Well actually the 5I25 firmware is PC side downloadable but not from
linux (yet) and currently requires a system power cycle to load the FPGA
with the (new) firmware in the EEPROM

Because loading new 5I25 firmware re-writes the EEPROM on the 5I25,
which has limited write cycle life, its not appropriate to reload it every EMC
startup like our other FPGA cards, but only when it needs to be changed

More
30 Sep 2011 20:47 #13567 by ZincBoy
I understand the issues with loading the firmware on startup but it looks like there is driver level support for the 5i25 in 2.5 now. I assume that the driver does not try to load the firmware at this time. I will try it out tonight and see how far I get :)

In PnCConf, you would need to select the correct firmware that you have on your card instead of the firmware to upload. I don't think this would be a major issue and only need documentation. From what I have read, I think the pin behavior is the same as the other HostMot2 based cards after firmware load.

The main issue I see in getting it to work with PnCConf is the different number of pins per port. Is it possible to have the missing pins there as virtual dummy pins with reserved functions? That way the UI could stay the same while allowing the lower pin count.

More
30 Sep 2011 21:20 #13568 by andypugh
ZincBoy wrote:

I understand the issues with loading the firmware on startup but it looks like there is driver level support for the 5i25 in 2.5 now. I assume that the driver does not try to load the firmware at this time. I will try it out tonight and see how far I get :)

I have one plugged in now, and it mainly works.

More
01 Oct 2011 05:50 #13570 by cmorley
If the 5i25 has less pins per connector, we probably could have the extra comboboxes not visible.
Do the pins act like other mesa boards? GPIO that can be input, output, or open drain?
Will there be many different types of firmware for it?
Is there a way to machine-read the pins or firmware?
or machine read a firmware ID number? Then pncconf could have a file of the firmwares and check if the programed firmware is one of them.
Is there anything else special about the 5i25?
I'll look at the manual...

Chris M

More
01 Oct 2011 06:19 #13572 by cmorley
read the manual...
seems pretty doable with some work.
a HAL pin with a firmware Id would be helpful I think.
Otherwise pncconf has to rely on the user picking the right firmware.
would be nice to have the firmware available with the other hostmot2 firmware too.
Hey Andy what HAL naming scheme does the 5i25 have :)

Chris M

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds