subroutine stops without warning

More
06 Apr 2013 02:49 #32318 by seb_kuzminsky
Thanks for checking. I'm glad to hear you're not getting stops in master.

Could you verify the version you tested by posting the output of running 'git describe' in your git repo?

It sounds like you have two versions of linuxcnc on your machine, one in a git checkout that you compiled run-in-place (master, aka 2.6~pre), and one from a debian package (2.5.1?). If you start a new terminal and *dont* run the rip-environment script in it, then run 'which linuxcnc', i bet it will say /usr/bin/linuxcnc, and if you then run 'dpkg --status linuxcnc | grep Version' i bet it will say 2.5.1.

One more experiment for you: try upgrading to 2.5.2 and rerun the test.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2013 03:04 #32319 by alan_3301
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$ git describe
v2.5.2-2093-gbc4a73d
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$ which linuxcnc
/usr/bin/linuxcnc
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$ dpkg --status linuxcnc | grep Version
Version: 1:2.6.0~pre0.3877.g781be81
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$ cat VERSION
2.6.0~pre
alan@alan-cnc:~/linuxcnc-dev$

I guess I had 2.5.2 when I thought I had 2.5.1
Not sure why I am stuck with pre0.3877.g781be81 (it runs with linuxcnc in a new terminal (without running scripts/rip-environment))
2.5.2 seems to be lost.

More
06 Apr 2013 03:19 #32323 by seb_kuzminsky
The 'git describe' shows that your git repo has the master (2.6~pre) branch checked out (the 'v2.5.2-2093' is misleading, the gbc4a73d shows that it's master that recently had 2.5 merged into it). So both your installed-from-deb and your build-from-git versions are master, aka 2.6~pre, of slightly different vintages.

Do i understand you correctly that your built-from-git version does *not* have the problem, and your installed-from-deb version *does* have the problem? And you used to have 2.5.1 installed (from a deb), and it *did* have the problem?

Thanks for all your help tracking this bug down... We'll get there!

More
06 Apr 2013 03:42 #32324 by alan_3301
Ok it definitely had the problem with 2.5.? I think my livecd install was 2.5.1, I guess I updated it to 2.5.2 at some point.

I have not experienced the problem with either of the 2 git master versions I have tried.
So with either version I have installed now, I have not experienced the problem.

can't try on 2.5.X since I cant get it to load anymore. I can try another fresh install to try that again if it will help.

just to be crystal clear, I'll use the words you used.

Do i understand you correctly that your built-from-git version does *not* have the problem

Correct!

and your installed-from-deb version *does* have the problem?

Incorrect, it has NO problem Not sure about "installed from deb" I used git for both master versions I have tried

And you used to have 2.5.1 installed (from a deb), and it *did* have the problem?

Correct

More
06 Apr 2013 04:15 #32325 by seb_kuzminsky
Thanks for being so clear, it really helps.

just to be crystal clear, I'll use the words you used.

Do i understand you correctly that your built-from-git version does *not* have the problem

Correct!

and your installed-from-deb version *does* have the problem?

Incorrect, it has NO problem Not sure about "installed from deb" I used git for both master versions I have tried

The "dpkg --status linuxcnc | grep Version" that you showed me earlier says that the installed-from-deb version of linuxcnc is 1:2.6.0~pre0.3877.g781be81, which is from master. I thought this was one of the versions you tested?

And you used to have 2.5.1 installed (from a deb), and it *did* have the problem?

Correct

You can try 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 from git:

git checkout v2.5.1
make clean
make
# run your test

git checkout v2.5.2
# try again

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds