My custom designed GUI

More
23 Apr 2017 04:32 - 23 Apr 2017 04:49 #91870 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic My custom designed GUI
I just checked my python version using $ python -V and it says I'm running 2.7.3. CraftsmanCNC seems to start and run fine, see the attached screen shot. I can upload the directory in which I have CraftsmanCNC installed if that would be helpful.

Kurt

EDIT: It is starting to come back to me. I think I remember having to change some floats to ints or something like that to get the GUI to start without errors, maybe in the scaling function? Whatever it was I don't remember it being a lot of work to get going, and at the time I had very little if any python or linux knowledge, and I still don't :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 04:49 by KCJ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2017 06:19 #91872 by yodaddy
Replied by yodaddy on topic My custom designed GUI
It would be much appreciated if you would upload the installation directory.

Thank you very much!

More
23 Apr 2017 16:56 #91891 by KCJ
I just ran some diffs on the original craftsman .py files and on my craftsman .py files in my config directory. Here are the results:

1. In craftsman.py I modified the paths on lines 18 and 25 to match my user-name. Also, it looks like I removed some parentheses on line 1122, but can't see any reason why that would be necessary.
  2. In vfd_spindle.py I modified the path on line 13 to match my user-name.
  3. In craftsman_toolchange.py I modified the path on line 7 to match my user-name.
  4. In vfd_controller.py I modified the path on line 10 to match my user-name.

I ran diffs on all the other python files and as far as I can tell I did not make any changes to the code other than those listed above. I did add easygui.py to the craftsmancnc directory.

Again, it has been a long time (1-2yrs?) since I was playing with this GUI, and I can not remember exactly what I did to get it running. All I know is that is does run, that I have Python 2.7.3, and that I was not very impressed with the GUI. I will upload my directory when I figure out how to make a tarball.

Hope this info helps!

Kurt

More
23 Apr 2017 17:42 #91896 by yodaddy
You can create a recursive tarball that retains permissions using the command " tar -cvpf output.tar sourceDirectory/* "

Thanks!

More
23 Apr 2017 17:57 #91897 by KCJ
That was easy, Thank you!
It is too big to upload here, so I put it up here: engr3131.weebly.com/craftsmancnc.html
Hope that is OK.

Kurt
The following user(s) said Thank You: yodaddy

More
23 Apr 2017 18:09 #91898 by yodaddy
File downloaded. Many thanks for taking the time to respond, and for sharing your working installation!

Rick
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

More
23 Apr 2017 18:13 #91900 by KCJ
Absolutely! Let us know how it goes. Best of luck Rick!

More
11 Jan 2018 18:39 #104305 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic My custom designed GUI
If I may dredge up an old thread, has anyone actually got this successfully installed and running? It's kinda running but there are problems I cannot resolve on my own. For example, the screen does not rescale and it complains about expecting ints and getting floats when jogging. If anyone is still interested in pursuing this, I'd like to participate otherwise I have to give up on it. Thanks.

More
12 Jan 2018 01:05 #104326 by skunkworks
Replied by skunkworks on topic My custom designed GUI
I would look at hazzy... It is a lot further than this..

github.com/KurtJacobson/hazzy

sam
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

More
12 Jan 2018 02:07 #104327 by KCJ
The author certainly put some time, effort, and ingenuity into the Craftsman UI, but I spent a good deal of time trying to make it usable a while back and eventually came to the conclusion that it was not worth the effort.

If you are interested in a UI of this type, I would suggest you check out the excellent work Chris Morley's has done on QtVcp. If you were so inclined, you should be able to take the background images from Craftsman CNC and overlay QtVcp widgets to make a working interface. I think this is the the current dev branch here: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/qt5vcp_py2

Also, as sam was kind enough to mention, you might be interested in hazzy. It allow you to rearrange the UI however you like, even on the fly, simply by dragging and dropping widgets into the display area. It is not complete yet, but it is more or less functional and I hope to be able to work on it some more soon. This is the current dev branch: github.com/KurtJacobson/hazzy/tree/GTK3

Kurt

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds