Poor Boy GUI

More
02 Feb 2014 05:19 #43413 by gww250
Replied by gww250 on topic Poor Boy GUI
I agree that a set of semi-standardized widgets or at least blocks of standard function callback code with a fixed set of 'event' or widget 'names' would be a big step to help everybody. As to the live-plot and text window problem I see that all the time on very high end machines so it's not just a problem with Linuxcnc. One of the big problems in all of this is the end-users skill set. As a layman I could understand Johns examples fairly easily but most of the code in Gscreen is way over my head since I have no programming experience beyond the usual introductory college courses.
To be honest I can build a completely new GUI easier than I can build a Gladevcp panel for Axis only because Johns tutorials document the steps far better than the documentation provided for Gladevcp work.

Of course somebody with my skill set probably shouldn't be doing any this in the first place and should instead just be running a machine with a 'canned' package!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2014 09:21 #43419 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Poor Boy GUI
There are in fact special widgets and event signals - more are needed.
But you hit the nail on the head - documentation is lacking.
mostly because as Norbert said, Gscreen is new.
The more people try it the better/easier we can make it.

The only way to improve your skill set is to try - so good job!
Chris M

More
02 Feb 2014 17:56 #43427 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Poor Boy GUI

Of course somebody with my skill set probably shouldn't be doing any this in the first place and should instead just be running a machine with a 'canned' package!

I began to make gmoccapy with very low knowledge of python, during my work I got very much support from Chris and many others, also Johns Tutorial and some glade tutorial helped a lot. But as more I got into it, my knowledge increased little by little. I did noticed that thinks could be done in other ways and so I wrote the Combi_DRO and Jog_Wheel Widgets.

And now gmoccapy and gscreen has taken two completely different ways. gscreen follows the way to allow custom skins and gmoccapy follows the way to be a very specialized GUI with some options to be customized. The gmoccapy code is far away from beeing well documented, so I can only offer you: If you do not understand a part of it, just ask, I will try to help.

And please go on with your effort, there could not be too much GUI, as people are individualists.

Most glade linuxcnc widgets are well doculented here: Glade Virtual Control Panael

Norbert

More
02 Feb 2014 20:39 #43430 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Poor Boy GUI

@JT

Gscreen is not doing exactly that at this time, but does support several features to create a gui. Please take in mind, that gscreen is a very young component and there is plenty room for improvements.

IMHO the way should go to optimized glade linuxcnc widgets and one core library taking care of maintaining all consistent..

But we are far away from this!! Just look on the line number problem, it is not possible to maintain the gremlin preview and sourceview at the same state. If the tool is working on line 30, the sourceview will highlight line 56.

The tool handling is far away from being optimal, i just mention tool wear, real tool cut length and more.

So there is a lot of work, even in the very deep internals.

So please give us a hand to get rid of one of the many problems:-)

Norbert

That's kinda what I was thinking a tool box full of glade widgets that people could drag and drop into containers on their favorite shape of GUI and the underlying code would "discover" what widgets are there and act accordingly. My latest programming challenge has taught me a lot about Python Gtk and Glade. Maybe we should start a new topic as it seems like I'm hijacking this one now.

JT

More
02 Feb 2014 20:40 #43431 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Poor Boy GUI

This is exactly how you improve your skill set... very good job.

JT

More
03 Feb 2014 21:04 #43491 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Poor Boy GUI

Every operator has unique preferences so in the perfect world we'd have a gui for every individual technician

That's not impossible. In fact it probably isn't even difficult.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds