QtPyVCP Tutorial

More
14 Jan 2019 23:17 - 25 Apr 2020 13:22 #124196 by BigJohnT
QtPyVCP Tutorial was created by BigJohnT
I've been working on the Documents for the QtPyVCP tool and have created a Tutorial for it. Once you install QtPyVCP you can build a working VCP in a matter of minutes. The more I learn about it the easier it gets. It's becoming quite powerful software. So what I'm looking for is feedback on the Documents and any other info you come across. Debian 9 is supported and it may work on Linux Mint but I've not tried that yet. If you get to work on Linux Mint let me know how you did it.

Oh yea this is the simple working VCP I built.

JT
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 13:22 by KCJ. Reason: Update URLs to new domain
The following user(s) said Thank You: chimeno, nkp, tommylight, Clive S, emilvv, rodw, islander261, Henk, dokwine, KCJ and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2019 16:01 #124358 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
This will open Up so many feathers to the Costumers and users to get there own running Gui as they need it left to right displacement for machine controller location

More
06 Oct 2019 16:20 #147256 by Askjerry
I'm looking at my machine and it has LinuxCNC version 2.6.13 on A Debian Wheezy system.

Not being a real Linux guru... can I do an upgrade... or do I need to save my files, format the machine and start with a fresh load? :unsure:

And if I do need to start fresh... I just looked at linuxcnc.org/ and it shows Current release: 2.7.14 which is still not good enough. So how do I proceed?

I looked here: linuxcnc.org/downloads/

It says: LinuxCNC 2.7.14 Debian 7 Wheezy is the current configuration... so again... not sure how I can get to a compatible machine.

Thanks,
Jerry

More
06 Oct 2019 16:49 #147268 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
You can upgrade the version of Linuxcnc but most probably it will not work with QtPyVCP.
There is also a Stretch version of Linux on the download page and that is the version that is most used for that. This will require a reinstall.
There is also the possibility of upgrading the existing system to version 9, i would not recommend it, it is much faster to install from scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Askjerry

More
06 Oct 2019 21:00 #147289 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Oct 2019 02:02 - 07 Oct 2019 02:03 #147306 by Askjerry
Replied by Askjerry on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
tommylight : Thank you... I figured that I would have to start from scratch... I actually have another PC that i could do that on... then transfer all my configurations. (I must have 50 by now... I do a lot of YouTube videos and help a lot of people.)

BigJohnT: I saw the requirements... I understand that. And I saw the page...
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-emc.html

What I needed to know... was that if I ran those instructions on my current machine... would it work... or obliterate everything I already have. Reading what Tommylight has to say... it looks like I better start with my spare machine because everything is about to get overwritten.

I'll presume then that one must download the ISO from linuxcnc.org/downloads/ then perform an update procedure as there is no current ISO that can just be downloaded and run like the normal LinuxCNC install. Correct?
(I need to use the proper procedure if I make a YouTube tutorial video to push to my 3600 subscribers.) :-)

Thanks,
Jerry
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 02:03 by Askjerry.

More
07 Oct 2019 07:24 #147315 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
hi here are the iso files for the stretch
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

More
07 Oct 2019 13:14 #147330 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
That stretch version is also a normall Linuxcnc install and it also works as a live session.

More
07 Oct 2019 14:15 #147339 by Askjerry
Replied by Askjerry on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
pl7i92 : Thank you for posting that link... I'll get the ISO there.

tommylight : Great... I'll make a new install thumbdrive... my last one is kinda old now... and I'll reformat my spare machine... then start the process and see if I can get there. I love doing the videos... but I can never stop learning... finding the time is a project on it's own!

From the examples I have seen so far... it looks like this is a freestanding panel... I'm typically used to writing the kind that are stuck to the side of Axis or in the center window. Will this replace Axis? In other words... create this and run independently... or is it just a floating window that runs in conjunction with Axis?

Thanks for the help folks!
Jerry

More
07 Oct 2019 23:09 #147381 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic QtPyVCP Tutorial
Jerry my install instructions are for a clean install. To upgrade LinuxCNC is a slightly different procedure. So yea if you follow my instructions you will have either a dual boot or wiped out all your stuff depending on what you selected during the install of the OS.

JT

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds