GScreen and some understanding gap of hal-widgets

More
15 Jun 2019 08:51 #136967 by Reinhard
Hi,

I finally got a working setup for gscreen and glade and I'm on the way to build my ideas.
Primary goal is to create a UI, which allows me to recognize machine state from the distance (3-5m), so I use bigger font sizes and colors to separate different meanings.
The small notebooktabs are to ease my work. They will be hidden in later version - and I switch tabs by external signals.

What I don't like at all are the override controls.
I would like to use a progressbar instead - but as soon as I enable different coloring, I get some errors like:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gscreen", line 4644, in <module>
    app = Gscreen()
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gscreen", line 586, in __init__
    panel = gladevcp.makepins.GladePanel( self.halcomp, xmlname, self.xml, None)
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/makepins.py", line 51, in __init__
    widget.hal_init(self.hal, idname)
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/hal_widgets.py", line 27, in hal_init
    self._hal_init()
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/hal_widgets.py", line 280, in _hal_init
    bar.set_fraction(0)
NameError: global name 'bar' is not defined
Any advice, what that "bar" should be?

... and here is a view with the position notebook flipped to absolute positions:
In my ini-file I've set LINEAR_UNITS to mm in section [TRAJ] but the dro widgets seem to not care about that setting. How can I get the dro to use mm-templates?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2019 14:40 #136984 by pl7i92
Servus ich bin in KL
Das Traj ist nur für die maschine Gscreen hat unter Einrichten eine eigene UNIT angabe für den DRO

die bar ist ein bug
welche version und welches os hast du denn installiert sollte in 2.8master gefixt sein

More
15 Jun 2019 19:24 #137005 by cmorley
You can set the display type in the GLADE editor or the python handler file
[widget name].set_property("display_units_mm",True)

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/gladevc...#gladevcp:dro_widget

I'll have to look into the progress bar problem can you give any more information?

Chris M

More
16 Jun 2019 04:39 - 16 Jun 2019 05:29 #137020 by Reinhard
@pl7i92
Servus! - Schön jemand in der Nähe zu wissen :)

Das Traj ist nur für die maschine Gscreen hat unter Einrichten eine eigene UNIT angabe für den DRO

Ja, dumm von mir anzunehmen, dass der Designer das auslesen würde :(

Ich denke, wir sollten auf English weiter schreiben.

welche version und welches os hast du denn installiert sollte in 2.8master gefixt sein

I use debian stable and 2.9 master of linuxcnc

You can set the display type in the GLADE editor or the python handler file
[widget name].set_property("display_units_mm",True)

The dro property prompt is a bit misleading (at least it was to me):

I understood "Display Units" in the sense of "should units be shown together with the numbers" and selected "no".
May be, you'd like to change togglebuttons text to "metric/imperial" or - in case the togglebutton can display yes/no only, change the prompt to "use metric units".

I'll have to look into the progress bar problem can you give any more information?

In the middle of the two pictures I placed the terminal output.
What else can I tell you?
Just removed an override widget and added a hal_progressbar. I would like a progressbar like the one from the first pictures from your gladevcp docs.

I started with the tester template and use the silverdragon as a guide to where I want to go to.
I have no idea of python and on any mistake linuxcnc crashes or denies to start ...
Most of the times there's no message that leads to the problem, so its very hard to progress.
So I started to read the widget source files ...
Don't know, whether I got it right.
The method position(self) of drowidget looks quite expensive to me.
I have 15 dro widgets in my screenset, which means, that there are 15 threads running the same periodic method of the dro widget class (or even worse: one thread that runs 15 instances of dro widgets periodic method).
periodic method uses position method as well as several convert_units, which will be expensive too.
Am I wrong - or does that place offer a plenitude of improvements?

Actually when I start the designer, I get these errors
(glade-3:13854): GladeUI-CRITICAL **: Unable to load module 'gtksourceview-2.0' from any search paths

(glade-3:13854): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load external library 'gtksourceview-2.0'
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkSourceView::draw-spaces

hal_gremlin: cannot find inifile

File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/hal_gremlin.py", line 117, in __init__
    inifile = linuxcnc.ini(ini_filename)
TypeError: argument 1 must be string, not None
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/hal_gremlin.py", line 157, in do_set_property
    if self.lathe_option:
AttributeError: 'HAL_Gremlin' object has no attribute 'lathe_option'
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/hal_gremlin.py", line 157, in do_set_property
    if self.lathe_option:
AttributeError: 'HAL_Gremlin' object has no attribute 'lathe_option'
**** Offsetpage widget ERROR: LINEAR_UNITS not found in INI's TRAJ section
Looks as if the designer is searching for an ini-file :dry:

Another issue:
I have two instances of gtksourceview - one small one, readonly, side by side with the gremlin and the other one (editable) taking the whole screen width. I'd like to increase the fontsize of the editable instance ...
The problem now is, that both get the same file loaded, but have a different buffer, so any edit changes will not be seen in the readonly gtksourceview aside the gremlin.

I tried a handler line like this:
self.widgets.work_GCodes.buf(self.widgets.edit_GCodes.buf)
but that raises errors like this:
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/share/gscreen/skins/vmill4/vmill4_handler.py", line 136, in on_tgEdit_toggled
TypeError: 'gtksourceview2.Buffer' object is not callable

... and on keypress, the terminal shows these errors on any keypress (in verbose debugging mode):
****Gscreen verbose debugging: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gscreen", line 1844, in on_key_event
    return self.handler_instance[method](state,SHIFT,CNTRL,ALT)
AttributeError: HandlerClass instance has no attribute '__getitem__'

File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gscreen", line 1847, in on_key_event
    return self.handler_instance.keybindings[method](state,SHIFT,CNTRL,ALT)
AttributeError: HandlerClass instance has no attribute 'keybindings'

File "/usr/local/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gscreen", line 1850, in on_key_event
    return self[method](state,SHIFT,CNTRL,ALT)
AttributeError: No widget 'notebook_main'
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jun 2019 05:29 by Reinhard.

More
16 Jun 2019 06:43 #137021 by Reinhard
I found the possibility to add a GtkTextBuffer and add that object as buffer reference to (both) EMC_SourceView, but that does not work as expected.
None of both EMC_SourceView shows the file content any more :(

More
16 Jun 2019 07:22 #137024 by pl7i92
sad
it is the 2.9 and this is the bugs one
i even can get my Gmocapy to work on that as it does not home the joints

there are allot of changes going on
and all is at least for me quite buggy

i stay with 2.7.14 on a real machine as the main advice

More
16 Jun 2019 07:51 #137027 by Reinhard

sad

Not really ;)
I have both variants on disk, so switching is not an issue.

My problem is: I have no idea how to differentiate between my mistakes and linuxcnc bugs

More
16 Jun 2019 08:04 #137028 by cmorley

try this (I haven't) in your __init__ function:

self.widgets.work_GCodes.buf = self.widgets.edit_GCodes.buf

I suspect it won't work as you hope, but there shouldn't be an error.
If it doesn't work - it means it would require so reorganizing of the sourceview widget to allow a buffer to be changed after initialization.

Chris M

More
16 Jun 2019 08:08 #137029 by cmorley
If fixed the 'bar' problem - though it the colors don't change for me - it seems it's a known problem in some themes. ProgressBar is not the preferred widget, bars are:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/gladevc...ml#gladevcp:hal-bars
I'm guessing because of the color problem.

display_units : GLADE is a bit limiting on how the editor renders data types: BOOL data is always a toggle button. yes we should change the tittle or pop up text.

expensive timers: yes Gladevcp was the first try at widget editors so things are not as efficient as possible. (qtvcp is better in this regard) but it's the graphics plot and sourceview editor that are CPU intensive (based on reports of low powered machines)
Someday when we update gladevcp to python3 and gtk3 then will will switch to using the Gstat library to watch linuxcnc and only update what needs to be done (that's what qtvcp does)

Those errors shown from GLADE editor are not important - as you noticed, it's because linuxcnc is not running, so no INI file.

Sourceview buffer - I'd have to research a bit - I'm sure you can share a buffer.

The other handler file errors - with verbose - you will get all kinds of error messages that are unimportant, because it shows info from all of the 'try except' statements. Some errors are hard to find because they are hidden by the' try' statement and that is when verbose should be used.

Chris M

More
16 Jun 2019 08:58 #137032 by Reinhard
F{}@!\k - I broke my environment by the try to step back ... :(

expensive timers: yes ...

Ok, so if my feeling was right, I would prefer to go ahead and work on bugs and improvements.
My mill is not ready yet, so I have time to dedicate myself to userinterface ...
I prefer to go ahead instead of stepping back.

@Chris
with your help I would change widget code and try to improve them.
I don't know linuxcnc, python nor imperial habbits, but I will try to get it work for me.
Then I could offer you the changes, so you could check what will be useful for you.
Is it ok to continue with my questions?

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds