Java UI for linuxcnc

More
26 Aug 2021 08:42 #218772 by Reinhard
Replied by Reinhard on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
Hi Rod,

what surprise to read from you :)

I think Debian 11 should be working for a RIP install.

Well, a quick shot showed, that axis seems to be working, but none of the other UI-apps did. No matter whether glade, gscreen or qt related. All failed - some with different errors.
So I have no idea, what might work or where there might be a problem.

vmihalca seem to have trouble, but I'm actually not able to help. I don't have experience with debian 11.

Anyway - it is a great pleasure to read from you. Hope you're healthy and well!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2021 08:53 #218773 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
Healthy and well but too busy to play with lcnc sadly.
There is a script deployed with master that Phill wrote for the QT stuff.
details are in the QTplasmac docs...
I had it in my notes
~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/qtvcp/designer/install_script

Its all to do with GTK and python versions as master is on Python 3

More
26 Aug 2021 11:44 #218793 by Reinhard

Its all to do with GTK and python versions as master is on Python 3

Yes I know.

Rod, don't take me wrong - I don't mind python bugs and I don't care for them. Python is not my world.
But on debian 11 all is python3. master is said to be python3 too. So if UI-apps from master at debian 11 require some python2 packages, for me its obvious, that linuxcnc is not ready yet for debian 11.
May be, the bugs are python only. Not sure. Linuxcnc has so plenty obscure and nebulous internal dependencies, I can't state, what really works at debian 11 and what needs further development.
So actually, my skyline is debian 10.

More
26 Aug 2021 11:57 - 26 Aug 2021 12:06 #218794 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
For lcnc on debian eleven see the bottom of the readme to get dependencies :
github.com/grotius-cnc/hal-core/tree/main/src

I worked for month's on debian eleven i.c.w. lcnc wihout any problems, except Qtvcp
Last edit: 26 Aug 2021 12:06 by Grotius. Reason: The forum editor is quite buggy

More
26 Aug 2021 14:36 #218807 by Reinhard
Yes, editor is a pane

> I worked for month's on debian eleven i.c.w. lcnc wihout any problems, except Qtvcp

I'm confident, that if debian states release 11 as stable, then its of cause stable and for so usable.
I know my linux box quite well and have no problems to identify and install needed packages.
But if a linuxcnc app claims to require a python2 package (like vte), I don't want to install that. linuxcnc master is said to be python3 ready. But that may be true only partially? Don't know.

More
26 Aug 2021 18:04 #218822 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
Last week i modified some install scripts of the original lcnc like ./autogen and ./configure to do only python3. That worked.
I think they did not mod this into the source already, but not sure.

More
22 Sep 2021 20:46 #221375 by vmihalca
Replied by vmihalca on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
Hi Reinhard,

Can you please tell me from which linuxcnc files did you obtained the offsets that are used in BufferDescriptor classes?
I need to see what other data might be in that buffer that could be useful for me.

Thanks!

More
09 Dec 2021 15:07 #228701 by cloudytechi147
Replied by cloudytechi147 on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
To make the difference between Kotlin and Java easy to understand, we have categorized the entire comparison into many parameters. So, let’s start.1) InstallationSetting up Kotlin with Android Studio is very easy. It works as a plug-and-play option. Setting up Java, however, on a system is quite complicated, and it requires an extra environment – the Java Runtime Environment – to run Java programs.2) Syntax ComplexityOne of the main factors that attract developers to code in a programming language is easy syntax. Kotlin is very easy to read and understand, thanks to its simple syntax. Also, it takes fewer lines of code to write a program that does the same as its Java counterpart. In Java, the syntax is difficult to understand, and writing the same Kotlin program takes more lines of code.3) ExtensionKotlin supports the extension function and extension properties. It is very useful and saves the developer’s time to write hundreds of lines of code. Unfortunately, Java does not feature an extension method.4) Type of LanguageThough Kotlin is a pure OOP language, it also supports procedural programming. Hence, you can declare your variable outside the class implicitly. Java is not a pure OOP language because it violates some properties of OOPs that qualify it in the hybrid language category. In addition to object-oriented programming, Java also supports procedural programming.5) Semicolon UseSemicolon use in programming is a big deal for developers. Even if you miss a single semicolon, it will take a good amount of time to debug the code. To save developers the hassle, Kotlin does not use the semicolon in code. On the other hand, Java uses a semicolon to terminate almost every statement, and these semicolons are a huge headache for beginners because they can cause errors many times.6) Lambdas FunctionLambdas function helps a lot when we write a return type function. The older versions of Java – Java 7 and older – do not support the lambda functions. The conciseness of the lambda functions in Kotlin gives it an edge over Java.7) Null Pointer ExceptionNullPointerException is a runtime error that is one of the major causes of Android app failure. In Kotlin, you get inbuilt null safety that solves this problem, but in Java, you do not get this inbuilt safety. Instead, you need to write some additional code to overcome this problem.8) Check ExceptionIn Java, you will get this exception. Many developers believe that it is unnecessary to have this exception in Java. Kotlin has removed this exception.

More
09 Dec 2021 16:22 #228712 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
The above post is considered spam, but since it has to do with the topic and as far as i can tell the link is OK, leaving it for now.
If anyone feels like removing it, let us know.
Thank you.

More
30 Jan 2022 21:20 - 30 Jan 2022 21:23 #233581 by vmihalca
Replied by vmihalca on topic Java UI for linuxcnc
Hi Reinhard, I was recently looking again over your code trying to figure out how you have implemented the rendering of the toolpath.In the meantime I have managed to sort out the JNI for interacting with HAL, I can create components, pins and interact with them.So now I am able to react to the physical buttons of my machine in the software. I don't know how many hours of coding you invested on your app, but for sure I had lots of work on mine and I am quite far from being over. Other than the benefit of better learning kotlin and compose ui framework which helps me in my day to day job...I could have written it faster in qtpyvcp, but now that I am here, I would rather try to sort out the rendering part. I only need 2D rendering since I am using this software only for lathe, so if you could help me figure this out, I would be really grateful.Below you can see some screenshots from my app, and I need to mention that your work on JCNCScreen was a huge help.
As you will see, I don't have icons yet, everything is quite work in progress, but so far I got all the features that the old sinumerik from weiler had.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 21:23 by vmihalca.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds