What is the most fully developed lathe interface?

More
06 May 2020 16:50 #166878 by helmholtz
What is the most fully developed lathe interface?

I have 2 axis gang lathe setup with the basic Axis lathe interface. Functionally it works great, but the on screen buttons in Axis are just way too small. On a 1920x1080 monitor some are barely the size of the mouse cursor.

I liked the looks of 'touchy' but couldn't figure out how you open an .nc file in it and it doesn't seem to support keyboard jogging. I also considered modifying QtAxis, but have had a hard time getting Qtdesigner to work for me.

For those using a lathe in a production environment what is working?
I need something with large buttons, 1920x1080 or higher support, and keyboard jogging.

thanks for any recommendations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2020 18:40 #166879 by tommylight
Have you seen this already ?
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/34996-another-gui-project-underway
Not sure if it has lathe there but it is made for 1920X1080 screens and looks awesome, also
forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/16426-changin...-gui?start=90#163112
modified axis with changing colours.

More
07 May 2020 01:51 #166922 by cmorley
What issues did you have with Designer?

More
07 May 2020 02:44 #166929 by helmholtz
yes, so far the QtPyVCP examples look the best and seem like they are a great fit for a higher resolution monitor. My issue is that as far as I know none of the showcased lathe VCPs are functional.

I've been trying to work through some of the QtPyVCP tutorials but unfortunately I've had some issues where what I see on my screen just doesn't match the screenshots of the tutorial and it's a bit tough to troubleshoot where things have gone wrong. Is the tutorial out of date? am i missing some component or dependency that I just don't know about? A basic example would be that the DROWidget is supposed to have a 'diameter_mode' property, yet I don't see that in QT designer. So then I start getting stuck.

But, realistically someone a lot smarter than me has already created a great lathe interface for a hi-res screen and I just haven't found it, so I thought I'd ask!

More
07 May 2020 09:02 #166936 by tommylight
Showcases should be functional, to a certain degree, but they are set as sim so you need to edit them to suit your machine.
And there are some videos on youtube using that for mills, i have seen no lathe yet.

More
09 May 2020 12:21 #167140 by Todd Zuercher
Axis is certainly one of the most mature UIs, but it was designed back when 1024x760 was considered a "high-res" monitor. It was never conceived to be used with today's large monitors or with a touch screen.

Touchy was conceived to be used on a machine without a standard keyboard, and it requires a certain number of dedicated external push buttons, such as ones for jogging.

Gemocappy may fill your needs it is a few years old now. But I don't care for it myself, mostly because it doesn't work well on the lower res monitors on my machines, (and the fact that the icons used on it's buttons aren't quite intuitive for me.)

I'm not sure that I'd consider any of the new QT based UIs fully developed, they're just too new. (But I have not tried any of them.)

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds